Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Global warming and Biodiversity.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Storm approaching
Last post: Keeks
Curator wanted.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
CURATOR OF PLANTS DUBLIN ZOO.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than enough hot air coming from the politicians on both sides of the water Blowin!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but global warming is a complicated issue, it includes melting sea ice, desalination of sea water, The temperature of the air m which effects the jet stream whether it is pulled down or pushed up this effects rainfall or we could have a drought. Climate change has many interacting effects on our lives and it is believed by some scientists if were to reduce the amounts of carbon in our atmosphere it will slow down the rise in temperatures.
But and there is always a But, If we were to stop releasing carbon into the atmosphere today it would not stop global warming. There is a big time delay as climate catches up with the carbon in the atmosphere so maybe in another 50 years the climate will stabilise.
Another effect of climate change which will impact on us will be financial markets especially in Oil or fossil fuels a shortage will put pressure on money markets, this will lead to economic migration as huge numbers of people move for a so called better life. There will also be mass movement of people due to shortage of food and drought. Wildfires like we have seen last year where millions of acres are burnt and ash and dust is blown north towards the greenland Ice sheet will increase its melting, Heavy rain after these fires will lead to Mud slides on higher ground and erosion of fertile soils lower down. Rising sea levels will remove land from both agriculture and habitation. Warmer temperatures will see new species move north and with them will come disease and epidemics. So far Hawaii has lost some small Islands to rising sea levels, this week there is a Plague of Locusts on Sardinia not biblical yet, there is a major outbreak of Swine flue in the East and we have seen Ebola kill over 1000's people so far. it probably not such a good idea for us mortals to be worrying about climate change, as theres very little one person can do, Ok Ok dont give me the story everyone has to do their bit.This horse ha left the stable and the door cannot be shut. If we refused to pay the refuse tax and water Charge wait until this carbon tax lands on our doors the french didn't like it and the Canadians scrapped it. USA pulled out of the Paris accord on climate change but No country will meet its targets, Anyone know who will sell me carbon Credits reminds me of the time we used buy indulgences and do penance for the poor souls in Purgatory but sure that was scrapped too. Not a bad rant there to keep you occupied.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with everything BUT, what the politicos DON'T/WON'T acknowledge is that the whole phenomenon is directly linked to World population growth which is currently proceeding at around 50,000-70,000 per day, every day. So, the latest daft statement they've come up with is that they intend to cut carbon emissions to 20% by 2050. What they don't say is that, at present rates, and without any compounding, there'll be around 550 million more people on Earth by then!!

Most of the TDs/MPs (and me) will be long dead by then, so won't have to answer for their words, but, to expect us to believe that producing food and raw materials for that many extra people for less effect is feasible, is surely a con job?

Greengage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but politics as we know it is changing but maybe not for the best, look at all the right wing people getting elected, in other countries look at governments being overthrown look to the West and see who they elected look to the east and see who they will elect sad cases, and their was no green revolution here a much as media would like us to believe. We live in interesting times. This is not the first climate change but it will be the one that effects Homo sapiens, Neanderthal man could not adapt can we that is the question, the planet will survive look at Chernobyl there are no people there but the trees still grow and the buildings will be submerged by the new jungle just like the Aztecs and Incas.
Blowin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't challenge a word you've said. The end result may be just as you say, but the path twixt now and then doesn't bear thinking about? All round the world one can relate events to pressures brought about by growing numbers.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin is correct. The source of the problem is population growth but no-one will say that except us two.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Blowin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To create a World picture, all one has to do is imagine modern day Ireland if there hadn't been the possibility of emigration since 1840?
Greengage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new carbon tax which is flavour of the month with politicians because they have no ideas of their own will not work, More tax on petrol/Diesel (Diesel was a green Idea not so clever but that's another story) people will probably drive less but that was suggested in the 70s to the infra structure is just not there to support the use of electric cars and the technology is not there yet.
They probably cost more to produce anyway and have a short life span so its just a business model to sell more cars. driving, heating, dressing, eating all require Co2 so elimination is impossible we need to invent new technologies like they did during the space race or some of the big conflicts WW1, WW2 and Vietnam so R and D needs big money but that's not going to happen unless their is a benefit to someone but not the little people, this then needs to be affordable to the little people (Me and you)
This new carbon tax will be another financial strain on working people not the rich or those who know how to avoid it or offset it against something else. No one has explained to me how living in a rural area I am supposed to transport myself around OK I can sit at home, How do I heat my house I have no access to gas, Solar power, heat pumps etc. if we stop burning Wood, Peat or coal what do I do to heat my house. The people in Ferbane, Kilcormac, Rhode, Rahan, Pollagh, Cloghan all Bord Na Mona Villages what will these people work at you wont live growing lettuce and herbs but mushrooms might work after all were used to that in the countryside they only need dark and Shite thrown at them and we get that in abundance. Anywhere a carbon tax has been introduced emissions are not falling so another failed idea by politicians. The recent Climate change initiative by the government, Build a clean energy economy by investing in efficient energy technologies, industries, and approaches. Reduce deforestation and its associated global warming emissions. Bla Bla Bla I could have wrote this while I was having my rant here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: