Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

Sticky Weeping Fig

Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
clare
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Sticky Weeping Fig Reply with quote

Happy new year to all. Some advice please? I have a beautiful, varigated, 10 year old weeping fig. Through the years it has withstood all sorts of abuse from, starvation, dehydration and pot-binding to relocation to a new country of residence! - and all without complaint. It is now homed and has been properly looked after for the last 3 years with love and care in our large, south facing consevatory which, for the most part it loves. Recently though, the leaves have become horribly sticky. It has no infestation of any kind (that I can see) and I can't work out why, over the last 6 months, this has happened. It was repotted last summer and seemed to flourish after that- although it was becoming sticky before the repotting. Would temperature variance be a factor? The conservatory is large and can be very warm with the sun and colder at night - though the room is centrally heated so the difference is not that extreme. Any ideas please?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky leaves say Honeydew to me.

"A sticky substance known honeydew may be produced by the scales and deposited on the foliage as a sticky sheen. Under damp conditions the honeydew can be taken over by a black fungus known as sooty mould, causing a really unpleasant look to the plants."

See the piece I wrote on honeydew and scale insects here...... Honeydew and scale insects.

Look for the small scales and see if you can attach a few pics of the affected plant to your next post for conformation.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
clare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that'd be it I'd say. Can't do the picture thing I'm afraid but I read your linked article and there's no doubt that's what it is. Thank you for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: