Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc)

GRAVEL DRIVE CARE

Most Recent Posts christmas market.
Last post: Greengage
Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
I love Trees!!!
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: GRAVEL DRIVE CARE Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking for help on keeping a gravel driveway weed free. I don't want to use round up or the like. I have tried a vinegar salt wash up liquid with limited success, just wondering if anyone has a better solution?

thanks Smile

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, which is not the answer you want, you need a herbicide to maintain it regularly or else use a hoe on a regular basis.
Water and vinegar will give you a temporary solution but will also kill all fauna within the soil. A heat gun or flame thrower will burn off the weeds but for a permanent job you will need a chemical to inhibit growth or kill off what's there.
There are lots of chemicals available aside from Round up but remember that is only a trade name and its not the answer your looking for. What preparation did you do before installing the gravel driveway. As preparation can help by inhibiting growth if you had a barrier in place.
I love Trees!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK shame, I have the burner which is great for the patio and pathways, but the drive is a little too large. The drive is quite thick and has a barrier, the problem is seeds falling on top, nothing is growing from underneath. Right so chemicals it is, are any safer than others?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chemical is safe, Glyphosphate is the active ingredient in a lot of herbicides especially roundup but that is only a trade name, using any chemical always follow the instructions on the label remember it only works at the correct dosage.There are some pre-emergent ones available but you will not be able to purchase them over the counter without a herd number or professional number and they are very expensive. Simazine was good in its time but has been banned so has Casron G The same also applies to rodenticides you need a professional qualification to purchase the good stuff although you can buy some products in the super market or garden center but not as effective and its they way it should be as too much misuse has gone on in the past. that's my opinion and not everyone would agree with me.
I love Trees!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thats brilliant thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Hard landscaping in Ireland, Garden Features (Paths, Patios, Paving, Decking, Walls etc) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: