Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Topsoil question

Most Recent Posts woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
horizonuser
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Topsoil question Reply with quote

So, I finally got my garden installed with a drainage system and fixed up by professionals. However, I am a little conerned with how they left it. Basically, they graded off the original topsoil, dug trenches back to a soak pit and brought in around 140 tonnes of topsoil (big garden). Over the last few days, with the rain, its clear to see the drainage is working,.

My question is this: The top soil seems to be high on the garden. Walking on it produces foot prints of about 1-1.5 inches. Should this have been rolled, or is this the normal way to leave it? Its only down a week and the grass is sprouting already,

thanks
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be concerned about softness causing footprints, the last thing you want with a new lawn is compaction, causing waterlogging and no lawn (seed) growth. Over the autumn and winter the ground will naurally compact up.

You should avoid walking on it if it has now been seeded.

IF the grass is sprouting then everything should be fine.

If the lawn is level and there are no stones on the surface, then a proper job has been done.
horizonuser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael196 wrote:
I would not be concerned about softness causing footprints, the last thing you want with a new lawn is compaction, causing waterlogging and no lawn (seed) growth. Over the autumn and winter the ground will naurally compact up.

You should avoid walking on it if it has now been seeded.

IF the grass is sprouting then everything should be fine.

If the lawn is level and there are no stones on the surface, then a proper job has been done.

Everything sounds good except for the stones. With the rain over the last few days came lots of surface stones. As if they were in the soil underneath and as the rain pushed the soil down the stones appears. Any suggestions on what to do?
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Your new lawn Reply with quote

Whatever you do Horizon user do nothing
verge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to deal with the small stones on the surface is dealt with here horizonuser New Lawn . Look under the heading Initial new lawn care

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
sandra12

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Your new lawn Reply with quote

walltoall wrote:
Whatever you do Horizon user do nothing

?????? What do you mean by that. Do you mean wait until the seed is up.
walltoall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Hi Sandra Reply with quote

I bet you are from outside Ireland? "Whatever you do, do nothing" is so well known in Ireland, I never expected to have to explain it on an Irish Gardening site.

But here goes.

My advice to the original poster is to leave that nice new lawn entirely alone. It'll be grand. Don't go walking across it. Don't roll it. Don't go picking stones. Don't do anything. Just stand beside it and listen for the sound of the grass growing. (That's another Irish saying). Comne the Spring it'll be all settled and the ground will have settled naturally. Come easter and a bit of drying and the first mowing can be chanced. Sometimes one can overdo the attention in a garden and often, the very best way to solve a gardening 'problem' is "whatever you do, do nothing".

Go n-eíri an t-adh leatsa gach lá go deo.

horizonuser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should this have settled a little bit by now? Nearly 4 weeks since the topsoil was put down and I if I attempt to walk on it I impress about 2 inches into the soil. Will this settle over time? Should I really leave this until Spring for the first cut as another poster says?
walltoall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Watch my lips Reply with quote

Leave the lawn til Spring. Don't walk on it. Don't even go near it. Nature sometimes likes to be left alone. Whatever you do, do nothing. The lawn will be grand. In the Spring when it is obvious that things are growing, roll it if you must.

Then if you want to lift weeds and stones use a sheet of plywood or even a large cardboard box (flattened!) to launch yourself into the unknown. Let the grass establish itself so you cannot see any 'soil', before even thinking of cutting it.

The best first cut is with a motor-mower set at the highest setting and with the grass as dry as a bone. This is not likely to happen in Ireland til at least mid April. It is important to use a grass-box with the motor mower so no cut grass is left behind.

Then use the motor mower every week or so, going down a notch a time on the height setting and always using the grass box. [By the way, this grass is a grand mulch for ericacious shrubs] By mid-June you should be within an inch or so of the soil surface and the grass should be thick and soft underfoot.

If the grass grows thin across the Winter and weeds are inclined to establish from March on, use a selective weed-killer in a tiny spray bottle and use that ply/cardboard sheet. If you are a purist with an aversion to chemical so am I. Use a sharp knife to cut the weed's tap-root. Nice lawn is a patient game

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Let it be Reply with quote

If you haven't had the soil trodden down before the seed was sown then Walltoall is speaking words of wisdom- Let it Be.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcZ8Gz0rDtw&feature=related

Michael196

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi horizon user.

4 weeks is no time in terms of a lawn. You will be looking at 4 years for the lawn to begin to mature. But dont worry it will begin to look good after about a year.

Small stones on the surface will be picked up by the lawnmower or will disspear back into the soil. so so dont worry about them .

If you leave it completly alone now, and u get growth by april next year, thenj maybe a lawnfeed / weedkiller might be ok, but only if u have robust growth.
horizonuser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its quite a few months since the new garden went in and not much has changed since then. The grass has come up in places and the drainage seems to be working well. However, the soil still seems very high and still sinks down went walked on. Also, there seem to be a lot of patchy baldness around too.

I am wondering now if I should roll the area before patching up some more seed. It seems, to me, that the landscapers may have put too much top soil in and they never rolled it.

Has anyone any further suggestions?

Thanks.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I know what you mean about this patchy baldness that's creeping around... it's been going after me for years....

'Tis great to be back outside in the garden... just had a day of it on a new veggie patch.

Have you got a photo you could upload? it would be easier for us to suss out the problem and would also give me a chance to have a nosey at your garden

Cheers

Ian

walltoall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Leave the lawn alone. Winter ends in Ireland about Easter Reply with quote

Leave the lawn til Easter. Don't walk on it. Don't even go near it. Nature sometimes likes to be left alone. Whatever you do, do nothing. The lawn will be grand. In the Spring (after Easter) when it is obvious that things are growing, roll it if you must.

If you want to lift any weeds and/or stones, before then use a sheet of plywood or even a large cardboard box (flattened!) to launch yourself into the unknown. Let the grass establish itself so you cannot see any 'soil', before even thinking of cutting it. Bald patches are normal due to variations in seed sprouting and after Easter you can shake some new seeds lightly rake and then roll.

If the grass grows thin across the Winter and weeds are inclined to establish from March on, use a selective weed-killer in a tiny spray bottle and use that ply/cardboard sheet. If you are a purist with an aversion to chemical so am I. Use a sharp knife to cut the weed's tap-root. Nice lawn is a patient game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: