Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Native American Diaries...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Journalist arrested in a broad sweep of a Protest Camp near Standing Rock Reservation is facing Criminal Charges from the Nth' Dakota Authorities...

Jenni Monet ,on assignment for "Indian Country Today" Magazine and the Center for Investigative Reporting, has been charged with Criminal Trespass and Engaging in Riotous Behaviour by Morton County Prosecutors ...

Monet was arrested as Police rounded up 75 Protesters attempting to set up a new Protest Camp near Cannonball River...Police moved in on Wednesday Afternoon to prevent the establishment of a new Camp locking down the Area with Highway Barricades...Monet said She was there to Document the Story...She said She had scaled a Hill above the River where Dozens of Protesters had erected Tepees and stood Arm in Arm facing the Police...

Police asked Her to move and as She was descending the Hill an Officer proceeded to Cuff Her and despite having already Identified Herself as a Reporter on Assignment put Her onto a Bus with other Protesters without reading Her ...Her rights...She was held for seven Hours along with other Women in a Metal Cage in the Morton County Jail Parking Garage...

Rob Keller, a spokesman for the Morton County Sheriffs Office said "We respect the Important role Journalists play in our Democracy and in the coverage of the Dakota Access Pipeline Protest" He added that He could not Comment on the Journalists arrest...

Monet...a Member of the "Laguna Pueblo Tribe" with a Masters Degree in International Politics from Columbia Uni' also contributes regularly to TV's P.B.S Newshour...She is not the 1st Journalist to be arrested in this bitter dispute...In Sept 2016 Amy Goodman TV Presenter of "Democracy Today" Programme and Magazine was arrested and charged with Engaging in a Riot after Her TV Crew filmed Dogs from a Private Security Company attacking Protesters and Children, these Charges were later dropped...In Oct' of the same year Dela Schlosberg a Documentary Producer was charged with Felony Conspiracy after Filming another Protest...these charges were also dropped...

Mark Trahant , a Professor of Journalism with the Uni' of Nth Dakota said of Monets detention , Her arrest was particularly disturbing considering Her Reputation for covering all sides of this bitter dispute...including Interviews with Police...Morton County Authorities...and Governor Doug Burgum...

Foot Note...At the offset of this Dispute several surrounding Police Authorities assisted Morton County Sheriffs Office by drafting in their Officers and Water Cannons to control the "Unarmed Peaceful Protesters"...as of late many of these Authorities have ceased their assistance and no longer draft in Personnel or Cannons and some Officers have resigned their Posts...One Officer was reported as saying....."I did not become a Police Officer to Baton Charge Innocent Men..Women and Children and Hose them down in Sub Zero Temperatures "
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said - land of the free!? I'm starting to understand the folks who are going 'off grid' and becoming full time spoon-whittlers!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very brief Biography of some Famous Chiefs...

..................................................Crazy Horse.......................................................................

Sioux Indian War Chief...
Born...1840 in Sth' Dakota...
Died...1877 in Fort Robinson..Nebraska...while trying to escape he was stabbed by a Bayonet from a Soldier...

The Crazy Horse Memorial in the Black Hills of Sth' Dakota will have a Monumental Sculpture of Crazy Horse that will be 563 ft high and 641 ft long when completed...

.........................................................Geronimo....................................................................

Apache Chief...
Born...June 1829 in Arizona...
Died...Feb 1909.... After been thrown by his Horse...

.........................................Sitting Bull..................................................................................

Chief of the Lakota Sioux Indians...
Born...1831 in Grand River Sth Dakota...
Died...Dec' 15 1890 in Grand River Sth' Dakota...

Best known for leading the Victory of the Battle of Little Big Horn...

In 1890 the local Indian Agency Police feared that Sitting Bull was planning to flee the Reservation in support of a Religious Group called the "Ghost Dancers"...they went to arrest him and a Gunfight followed between the Police and Supporters of Sitting Bull...he was killed in the Gunfire...

..........................................Chief Joseph............................................................................

Chief of the Nez Perce Tribe

Born...March 1840 in the Wallowa Valley, Oregon.
Died...Sept 1904 at the Colville Indian Reservation ,Washington...

The retreat of Chief Joseph is called the "Nez Pearc War"...it is often considered one of the most Masterful retreats in Military History...with just 200 Warriors he managed to take his People 1,400 mls' while fighting 14 Battles against the much larger and better equipped US Army... however eventually running out of Food and Blankets and many of his Warriors having been killed he was forced to Surrender despite being within sight of the Canadian Border on Oct 5th 1877...........His famous Speech on that Day read...

I am tired of fighting,Our Chiefs are killed,the old Men are all dead...it is the young Men who say Yes or No...he who led on the young Men is dead...It is cold and we have no Blankets, the little Children are Freezing to death...some of my People have run away to the Hills and have no Blankets and no Food, no one knows where they are perhaps Freezing to death...

I want to have time to look for my Children and see how many of them I can find, maybe I can find them among the dead........Hear me my Chief's...I am tired,. my Heart is sick and tired,..from where the Sun now stands,I will fight no more forever...
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that about Geronimo. Makes me go cold when I think about the time I came to grief crashing off a horse. That's where the old shoulder trouble started - could have been much worse!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't heard from our resident red indian expert in almost a month. Hope he is alright.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe our resident red indian expert has moved back to Blarney.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That poses two questions - how do you know that and don't they have internet in Blarney?! Confused
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue, I know everything. He was only 12 mile away from you, head down and see is the house sold.
That is a possibility alright as not everywhere is as technically proficient as Wexford.
Maybe he just decided to call it a day. I miss his blogging style though.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of him every time I drive through Cliffoney - just don't know where he lives.

I miss him too, a voice of sanity among us. Very Happy

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be giving anything away by disclosing his address as he made no secret of it anyway. Also put up photos of the front of his house. When you cross the Leitrim/Sligo border, measure 1.1 miles and that will be the second crossroads that you come to. There are houses on each corner of the crossroads, his is the first house on the left after the turn to the left on a long narrow plot with the house set way back from the main road. Alternatively, 2.5 miles coming from Cliffoney direction. Tell him I said hello.

marlin vs
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Choctaw nation although they had little helped up during the famine. A monument was erected in Middleton in recognition of help.

http://www.thejournal.ie/choctaw-memorial-kindred-spirits-midleton-cork-3445847-Jun2017/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLqnHFG3_8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: