Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hello again :)

Most Recent Posts woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rob in Eire
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Hello again :) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I couldn't remember my password and it's been a while since I posted last, so long in fact that I couldn't remember which email address I had used and even if it was one that might have been abandoned due to spam or such so I have rejoined not as robineire but Rob in Eire, it actually took me a while to remember that I had used robineire lol.

Anyway, I was talking to my wife about what a good idea it would be to seek advice from some local gardeners and she said why don't you ask on the garden forum thing you used to send photos to ahaha so it's all her fault that I am back seeking guidance.

I invested in a poly tunnel this year ( a wee bit late due to finances ) which has been great, I have had great crops of peas, pakchoi, courgettes and cucumber ongoing coming out of our ears.

I planted a couple of courgette plants in the tunnel and was expecting a slightly better crop than outside but they went crazy faster than I can eat them they grow into marrows so I am on the learning curve so to speak. I planted toms too close together and didn't religiously nip them so had to do drastic surgery to let enough light into the fruits. And I put purple sprouting broccoli in there as it always gets decimated with caterpillars out in my plots anyway it's rather large too, to put it politely.

The advice I need is regarding seeds and my choice of things to grow in the tunnel next year, I also have carrots, 5 chili plants, peppers, basil, marigolds, and lettuce all harvesting great in there and have cleared the peas and one courgette and have put down beetroot 2 varieties, more pakchoi, more lettuce, some more spuds about three weeks ago, for the winter.

Regarding seeds, has anyone belonged to a seed club for open pollinated seeds in the past and if so, can you advise me on pitfalls of setting one up, at the moment I am trying to dry seeds from all my veg but of course its a big job rather than just letting one plant go to seed. I suppose everyone will want to collect the seeds of easy plants to collect from.

Regarding the caterpillar problem in my broccoli is there a companion plant that keeps the butterfly away, I presume it is the white cabbage butterfly, the caterpillars are green and easy squashed but well my plants are kinda huge and the midgies love the tunnels lack of wind lol. Apart from garlic.

Thanks for any answers, and Hi to everyone who I haven't met before and of course HI to everyone I have chatted with before.

Ohh I put strawberries in but think they didn't get enough pollinating insects as the crop wasn't great so they are outside in a raised bed now, not sure what to do over the winter with them here?

Last edited by Rob in Eire on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob in Eire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Another shot at an image Reply with quote

After the peas etc were cropped and a newish cold frame constructed of pallets and some polythene

IMG_1217.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.41 KB
 Viewed:  469 Time(s)

IMG_1217.JPG

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Rob, there's a book called 'Seed to Seed' by Suzanne Ashworth - ISBN 0-9613977-7-2 - printed in 1991 which may help. Probably available on Amazon etc.

There are certain crops, mainly from the pea/bean family, that are simple to keep seed from but then you start to find that others only produce viable seeds in their second year. Some don't produce exact copies of the plant you took them from, and revert to one they came from originally. In short, it's a bit of a minefield and, for me, not worth the hassle, but have a go by all means.

From your pics it doesn't look as though space is a problem so what is your plan long term?

Rob in Eire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Plans Reply with quote

G,day Blowin,

I don't really have a plan as such Blowin I'm just reclaiming my garden a bit at a time, with the seeds I just don't like waste and when I buy seeds it seems like half the packet is not used and becomes out of date. Maybe I should just swap spare seeds rather than dry my own.

I need to sort out some way of catching rainwater near the poly tunnel as at the moment i have a hose running about 50 meters into a water butt and a dustbin with seaweed liquid fertilizer. Made three rough raised beds for spuds next year near the tunnel and am going to move my black plastic water tanks that I grow veg in near the house across there too as at the moment my vegies are growing in three different parts of the garden.

Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd better leave you to others for advice, Rob, as I'm anti-tunnel and anti-raised beds. On a general note, though, I think I'd consider saving up a few Euros, forego a couple of Christmas and birthday presents, and get a local farmer to spare you an hour or so to level the ground you want to use. By doing bits here, and bits there, my thought is that you'll always have weeds alongside, that will either spread their roots or seeds into where you're growing your crops? Get the site level. Buy a couple of rolls of builder's black membrane to keep native weeds at bay and you could create a short cut to where you're hoping to be in a few years time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: