Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Good Guy went to Keuchenhof Gardens, The Netherlands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I didn't go see no church either Blowin.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have been Madurodam, Margo? The Anna Frank House is also very moving. Tagwex, you'd better go again to see the church?
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagwex, I've never had a problem bringing plants in from other EU countries - UK, France, Portugal, Spain. Mind you, I never asked for permission, either! I think Dutch bulbs are specially cleaned so they can be exported all over the world.

Blowin, I appreciate the suggestion about making a road trip in Europe - we drove through Germany to Prague and back through Austria, Germany, France and the U.K. years ago. Camped at Isln Minau on the Bodensee which was a lovely place to stop, with steamers on the lake, vineyards, hop gardens and even the Zeppelin museum nearby! But these days, school-age kids preclude such trips - "are we there yet?" still features large!
But you are right, there is so much to see. A couple of years before I retired I wangled a trip to a design exhibition in Kortrijk, Belgium. I took time out to go to Ghent - a fascinating little city with a well preserved castle. I particularly wanted to see the Ghent Altarpiece, a masterpiece or the early C15th renaissance by Jan Van Eyck. I was familiar with the work from art history classes at art college but seeing it for real, in context was so different. It is a huge work and I just stood, awe-struck. I had similar experiences in the Prado last Easter. As for chocolate factories, I think I will leave them out - but it's not the weight of my suitcase I'd be worried about!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
Tagwex, you'd better go again to see the church?

What I seen in Amsterdam was not on any holy mans bucket list. Actually, I had better rethink that bearing in mind the way things have transpired, and maybe it was on their bucket lists!!!

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guy wrote:
Tagwex, I've never had a problem bringing plants in from other EU countries - UK, France, Portugal, Spain. Mind you, I never asked for permission, either! I think Dutch bulbs are specially cleaned so they can be exported all over the world.

Actually I had better rephrase that, I think the problem was, and maybe still is, with bringing in the soil rather than the seed, bulb. corm etc.

Blowin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG, there's a frustrated sightseer in me. With well over 150 trips to mainland Europe under my belt, all by road but with a schedule to keep to, my world is full of places I've passed through, but felt I'd like to go back to for another look. Even the ones I've actually stayed in are all too often taken up with an exhausted sleep in a hotel bed, before heading home again. I somehow get the feeling 'One Day' will never happen.
Greengage

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to spend a lot of time in Aalsmeer at the flower market, we had our own slot in the market but paid a bidder to buy for us otherwise you could loose your shirt in an hour, Cute Hoors them Dutch buyers, Thursday was the day to avoid as the flying Dutchmen turned up and they usually bought above the market price, then all hell would break loose with everyone shouting at everyone else and accusing them of upping the price, they would fill their lorries for England and Ireland and other European countries sell all week and turn up again on Thursday the following week. The trick was to have someone out back to see what was coming up and bee prepared. Once bought 50 Kentias six foot high for 10 as a grower was trying to move stock sold them from the auction room to an Irish buyer for a big office job for 25 each before I even paid for them. Lots of money to be made and lost if you loose the run of yourself at the auctions but great fun and scary always pressure on you to sell sell sell.
Margo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our last visit to the gardens we wasn't living in Eire.
We was told all UK visitors could take back cut flowers and bulbs but NOTHING WITH A ROOT OR SOIL
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fascinating, Greengage. But I couldn't do it - buying and selling isn't my strong point.
That's too bad, Blowin. I know things are easier for me to organise now I'm retired but I've always held the view that this life is not a rehearsal. I've jumped at any opportunity for travel, particularly in the last 20 years. And it has got easier and cheaper since Ryanair changed the market. It's about making the decision.
I got news a couple of months ago that my nephew in Canada that I'm very fond of but rarely see, is getting married in September. I haven't been there since '97 and when I checked I found tickets to Calgary at about 400. I had nearly that in the CU, so now I'm saving for my spending money.
Make the decision, donwhat you need to free up time and money and go for it!
Blowin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One four legged friend and a bad attack of erindoorsosis will tell its own story. Plus, having spent all my life in the SE of England with Dover only 90 mins away, I've been spoilt. One also gets used to the 'special' arrangements for coach and truck drivers on the ferries. Maybe one day.
Margo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin wrote:
One four legged friend and a bad attack of erindoorsosis will tell its own story. Plus, having spent all my life in the SE of England with Dover only 90 mins away, I've been spoilt. One also gets used to the 'special' arrangements for coach and truck drivers on the ferries. Maybe one day.

We regularly used to pop over on the ferry to France as we lived in Ashford. It cost about 10 which was a cheap day out. I used to get all the lovely fresh fruit and veg from the market (no rubbish there) and have a lovely meal as well as seeing all the lovely countryside on route. It worked out a real cheap day out.

We also took advantage of the coach trips. Going further afield Belgium, Holland etc. for about 99 for a long weekend with hotel and meals included. So we could see a lot of the sights like the gardens etc.
Blowin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't, Margo! Les Marches sont superbes, n'est-ce pas? Yes, many happy days on the continent and you were better off than us. We were in Haywards Heath, so twice as far from Dover.
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum had always wanted to go to Canada especially after a relative came back with glowing reports. My sister and I could not afford Canada, but we could afford Austria (mountains, lakes, trees, near enough!) So for her 60th birthday we all went to Austria courtesy of Shearings coaches.

We went via France, Belgium and Germany, visited Switzerland and Italy and came back via Germany and Holland. We got a real taste of the countryside - from high up in a coach and it was nice to know that for part of the trip we were on the same road that dad travelled after D Day. He had loved the Black Forest and had always wanted to go back in peace time.

The village we stayed in was surrounded by meadows full of flowers. It was so beautiful. I bought seeds while I was there and the following year we had a little patch of Austrian meadow in our garden. Very Happy

The only down side of the whole trip was an overnight stay in France, where the staff were rude and the food, inedible.

I'd love to think Dave and I could do the same trip some day. Good food, beautiful countryside and someone else doing the driving!

Margo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a really touching memory we had was we had gone to Austria on one of the long weekend coach trips. Our room looked out on beautiful pine forest and they smelt wonderful. We decided to take a walk and we went by this cemetery which was immaculate. Then we saw a wonderful sight. There were 3 children aged about 9 on roller skates. We thought that was a bit naughty whizzing round the cemetery, till we got closer. Those children all had watering cans and was watering all the graves. Thought it was marvellous as when we got back home our local cemetery had been vandalised. What a difference eh
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place we stayed in was right up in the mountains, very close to the Swiss border. We were told towards the end of the war the Nazis turned up and took every male over the age of 16 to prop up the Russian front (gun fodder) The graves there had photo's of the young soldiers on them. It was heartbreaking. All that tragedy in such a beautiful place.

We were also told that the flower displays and window boxes were all paid for by the local government for the tourist trade.

Sorry GG I hijacked your thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden visits All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: