Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Planting asparagus
Last post: Sidney Pink
Happy Christmas
Last post: Sue Deacon
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Quiet times

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mange tout
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I in dublin, close to city centre. so if there's a gardening use for abandoned prams and shopping trolleys do let me know

Not too windy, initial focus was on weeds coming in but then I figured why not protect from wind while I'm at it? Courgettes and french beans both did much better the year before than last year and I'm wondering if wind might have been a factor, though french beans will be exposed anyway due to their height.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feed the wild birds but have problems with crows etc pinching all the food, an upturned shopping trolley with alternate vertical wires snipped out, will allow the small birds access but deny the bigger ones.

As for wind affecting crops, especially your French/runner beans, you can avoid its effects to some extent with adequate preparation. They are very much dependent on having enough moisture and there's nothing worse than wind for drying the ground. There's info on other posts on the subject, but putting good quantities of newspapers underneath will help to conserve water when it's plentiful. As much other moist material as you can find will also help, and simple things like tipping bowls of kitchen water, e.g. after peeling the veg, around them in dry weather, will help too.

Blowin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I should have included the following link for reference. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KTdueyd3s9hNDoIj_tXg1W56EjCGkOGFjnRcDhjAowE/pub Since making my two rigs up, one of Styx and one of rope, I've found the pit method saves space and makes preparation easier. Have a scout round a local hospital or nursing home for a cast off wheelchair with old fashioned large back wheels in the maintenance area. The staff will usually be only too grateful if you save them the bother of getting rid of it, and you'll end up with two bean wheels, plus the ultra-strong chassis members will provide useful lengths to have in the shed for straightening bent fork tines etc.
mange tout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin you're like the magiver of gardening

I though. I'd read that you don't need to feed beans? I'm going to have to up my game
tippben

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this derailing the thread a bit, but after clicking Blowin's link, I've a question. I coppice Hazel each year for pea sticks and poles. Then they provide kindling for the fire in the winter. There is a sustainable supply, so I won't be scavenging wheelchairs! However, is 12 plants to a metre circle pit the optimum? Also, thoughts on planting six plants, then another six a month later, on the same structure for successional cropping?
Blowin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent hazel is very hard to come by round here, Tippben, and I have to grease the owner's palm so an alternative is desirable.

I run either 12 STYX or 12 ropes off each wheel with two plants per Styx or rope, so I grow 24 plants off each wheel and have been known to put a few extra in the gaps if I have particularly good looking ones. After all, runner beans only need moisture and feed below and something to climb up (even if it's one of their own). As for succession planting, I've tried it on the odd occasion but generally found that nature takes over and the later ones catch the originals up. Any extension to the cropping season has, for me, been very marginal but I'm no real gardener.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: