Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Asparagus queery

Most Recent Posts Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Asparagus queery Reply with quote

I've never grown asparagus before. I want to grow some in a big tub in the Polytunnel any advise from my friends
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my 1977 Dr Shewell Cooper book he says:

More or less any soil if it is well drained. Needs 'generous' manuring, including in spring when shoots first appear. The crop needs a long lead in period of THREE years from seed to crop so, if you're prepared to wait two years, buy one year old plants (best, he says) but, if not, buy three year old plants.

Plant out in April, in rows four feet apart with 18 inches between plants. Draw out a trench eight inches deep and eight inches wide so that the plant's roots can be spread evenly. This allows for the crowns to be four inches below the surface after back filling.

He then goes on to state what catch crops can be grown between the rows and what to do in successive years (e.g. earthing up) but I must admit it does seem to be a rather involved process. Good luck anyway.

Margo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blowin

It was only a couple of cheap packets I bought so I'm not that bothered if nothing happens. It was just the depth of planting I was a bit wary of. If I don't get any spears at least I might have pretty foliage.
I'm doing it in a huge tub in the Polytunnel as I can't plant outside as the blooming crows have everything I plant out. Thank you again
Blowin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, Margo, but the book skates right over the idea of growing from seed, saying 'leave that to the nurserymen', by which he means the professionals. However ...............

Readers Digest's 'Food From Your Garden', a treasure if you can get one second hand, says you can raise plants from seed but it just means an extra year before you produce spears for cutting. To do so, in April soak the seeds overnight in luke warm water and sow next day in rows half an inch deep and 12 inches apart. When the seedlings are about 6 inches tall, thin out until they're 6 inches apart. Water generously during summer and plant out into their permanent position the FOLLOWING April - so it takes a year to get that far. I recall seeing somewhere that asparagus likes a bit of salt in the soil but can't find a reference to it at the moment.

tippben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this, if it's any help. http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/trick-growing-asparagus-containers
Margo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippben wrote:
I found this, if it's any help. http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/garden/trick-growing-asparagus-containers

Thankyou
Blowin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up but I had this circular came in my inbox this morning.

http://email.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/rsps/m/aR0hsLTiIRjZc84-ZjQ18UeAWuMkTK6YPNLorKb161I

Margo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blowin
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried growing it (from crowns not seed) but it was never very happy and after four years I had one meal of very spindly spears. The foliage was very attractive.

I dug it up in the fifth year and planted raspberries in it's place. The following year one asparagus plant appeared in the raspberries and has come back every year. Rolling Eyes It's so tangled with the raspberry roots I couldn't get rid of it if I tried.

My problem might have been that the veg bed is on a peat (bog) base and although it can get very dry at times, it can be wet and frozed for several days/weeks every Winter.

Good luck with that. Let us know how you go on.

Margo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite truthful Sue I am not really worried if I get spears as I can take asparagus or leave it. I love the foliage so I shall just keep it at that.
ROXANNE
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margo,
Ref growing asparagus,
The Dr shewell cooper's info is first class a writer well worth reading ref many garden subjects Including little need to spend hour after hour weeding "but thats another subject for another day, "but his method of little weeding really works ive followed his method for years and i dont spend nearly as much time weeding as i once did.
One point here i feel is important ref growing asparagus is to grow it in a part of your garden that your not going tobe wanting to use for at least four years and longer as it takes four years before you can take a good regular crop, it's very much the same as rhubarb plants ie when you first plant this plant you can only take a few sticks for a few years until the plant really gets rooted well,

So plant it near the rhubarb in a place your not using much and let it grow and once its taken you'll have years of fresh asparagus on your plate. Wink

Margo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROXANNE wrote:
Hi Margo,
Ref growing asparagus,
The Dr shewell cooper's info is first class a writer well worth reading ref many garden subjects Including little need to spend hour after hour weeding "but thats another subject for another day, "but his method of little weeding really works ive followed his method for years and i dont spend nearly as much time weeding as i once did.
One point here i feel is important ref growing asparagus is to grow it in a part of your garden that your not going tobe wanting to use for at least four years and longer as it takes four years before you can take a good regular crop, it's very much the same as rhubarb plants ie when you first plant this plant you can only take a few sticks for a few years until the plant really gets rooted well,

So plant it near the rhubarb in a place your not using much and let it grow and once its taken you'll have years of fresh asparagus on your plate. Wink

I have a big problem of my garden is so exposed and not exactly flooding but very squelchy. Winds straight off of the Atlantic. Reason for putting it in the polytunnel
ROXANNE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margo,
Hope your well and having a nice day,
Im sure in the poly tunnel if you dont mind the asparagus becoming there full time "why not" its a really nice veg and becoming really costly to buy.
After all its that time in life when those little bits of something special are enjoyed Smile
I hope you enjoy them.

Margo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROXANNE wrote:
Hi Margo,
Hope your well and having a nice day,
Im sure in the poly tunnel if you dont mind the asparagus becoming there full time "why not" its a really nice veg and becoming really costly to buy.
After all its that time in life when those little bits of something special are enjoyed Smile
I hope you enjoy them.

To be quite truthful Roxanne I'm not bothered if anything comes of it. I'm planting in a big tub in the Polytunnel. I'm not to bothered about spears but love the foliage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: