Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

My Garden to a lawn

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tinofapples
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: My Garden to a lawn Reply with quote

Good evening everybody.

I'm new here so here's my story, moved into self build last August and would really love to get a lawn sow this summer/autumn.

This is what my garden looked like a couple of weeks (Last pic):

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/tinofapples/Home/HPIM3289.jpg

I'm thinking about spraying whats there now with Roundup and importing topsoil onto which I will sow my lawn seed , does this sound like a sensible plan ??

I don't really want to go rotivating or digging up whats there cause i have percolation pipes running towards the back and power cable running from the garage out to the pumping chamber.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be no problem. Only problem I could see is if the existing soil in that area happens to be compacted and holds water for a while after rain, then water trying to drain through you new soil will be slow to shift. Breaking the surface of the compacted soil in areas where you are sure there is no services should sort that problem out though. this could be done some day you have a mini digger in and around.

But as I said it may not be a problem. Dont forget to follow this post http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287 when sowing your lawn. Good luck with it.
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that with a friend on his lawn tinofapples. it worked out well. It was only a small estate lawn but there is no reason it should not work for you.
beolight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked at pic looks like a friends house in killarney

might i suggest getting a digger in and just scraping the top of the soil, this will clear all existing grub/protruding stones etc and help level it also

then put top soil on
tinofapples

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks.

I've bought the Roundup at the weekend, justing waiting for an appropriate day to spray it. I'm gonna go ahead with that plan, spray with Roundup, leave it for a month then import some topsoil.

I'll keep you informed via pics of developments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: