Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Sorbus Pink Pagoda/ Sorbus November pink--Any experts?

Most Recent Posts woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
john32c
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Sorbus Pink Pagoda/ Sorbus November pink--Any experts? Reply with quote

I wonder can any of the tree experts out there answer a query about "Mountain ash" trees "Sorbus"

I was looking for a small gaden tree called "Sorbus Hupenenis-Pink Pagoda".
I couldnt find it in a couple of nurseries/garden centres dublin/kildare area but was told by two that a tree they stocked called "Sorbus Hupehensis November Pink" is the same tree.

Another garden cenre said that information was incorrect. A Google serach proved inconslusive to me...anyone confirm one way or the other?
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

according to 'Hilliers' (my plant bible!) Sorbus hupehensis var. obtusa is the plant you are after.

'Various selections have been made and named, including 'Pink Pagoda', Rosea' and 'Rufus', all of them have pink fruits and they can be difficult to distinguish from the type.'

They all sound very similar and 'November Pink' is probably the same. I think it would be best to wait until spring and go and look at what they have to offer.

I was thinking, have you seen the tree somewhere and want one the same. If so could you find out exactly which one it was that you saw? Hope you can track it down.

Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pink November but think (I Know) Joseph rock is a better tree for berries.
john32c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Joseph rock is indeed a lovely tree, there is one growing outside the front of my house, lovely yellow berries and good autumn leaf colour but a bit big for my site.The "Pink Pagoda one appealed to me as its supposedly a smaller tree suitable for smaller spaces (where I was going to grow it) and has fantastic autumn colour and pink/whitish berries.....with green/blue leaves

If you look on the RHS website it shows "Sorbus pseudohupehensis 'Pink Pagoda as a particular variety of tree and says "Sorbus hupehensis 'November Pink'" is misapplied in this category. So i wanted to be sure its the same tree,,,

You say you have a November Pink? Is it a mature tree? Does it display good autumn colour and what about the berries....??
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the give-away with the RHS comments is they call it 'pseudo'-hupehensis. The original S. hupehensis was introduced from China in the early 1900's. Since then breeders have been 'developing' it.

Some times if a cutting is taken from inferior stock you can get a totally different plant from the one you were expecting. I have had a rose (Bonica) in my garden for the past 14 years. It gets to 7' tall and has very shiny dark green leaves that have a purple tinge when young. The 'Bonica's' you buy today are sold as ground cover and have paler leaves?!

Is the space restricted by height or width? There are a few Sorbus that are quite narrow in growth.

Greengage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a small Sorbus then go for Sorbus aucuparia "Autumn Spire" small compact tree ideal for small garden found growing in a nursery in Kildare Flannerys.
here is a pic couldnt find one from flannerys.
http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/products/sorbus-autumn-spire-rowan-tree
http://www.owenchubblandscapers.com/blog/trees-please
Good guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really nice tree. Pity I've no space left!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: