Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers

What cactus is this.

Most Recent Posts Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Greengage
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Olwas2013
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: What cactus is this. Reply with quote

I have two grafted cacti. One ruby ball and the other I am asking about right now. Well it is flowering with tons of flower buds on it. A few weeks ago one flower bud opened and I saw the flower. Beautiful! Well anyway can you identify this cactus for me with cherries on top! Thank you.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  408.04 KB
 Viewed:  2649 Time(s)

image.jpg

Olwas2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Flowers of this cactus opened Reply with quote

The photo of my previous reply is of the buds unopened nut now they have opened so here they are

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.27 KB
 Viewed:  2631 Time(s)

image.jpg

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cacti can be difficult to ID, i dont know if you did the graft yourself or bought it in a shop, Lets presume for this you purchased it, most of these are bought in probably originating in China/japan and sold through agents in Holland, there they would not have a clue as to what they are, referring to them as only grafted cactus, and garden centres would not know either, So did a bit of research for you and asked those who might know,
The scion (the bottom part) is probably a short lived section of Hylocereus undatus. You said the top section is ruby ball if you google images for ruby ball they look nothing like that i think it could be a mammillaria cactus (Thimble cacti)
What I think you have is a desert cactus grafted onto a jungle cactus. The top plants usually lack chlorophyll and cannot make food for themselves and are supported by the lower one which you have to keep well watered enough to support the top grafted one. It is possible the lower one is short lived and if your lucky the upper one may survive on its own if potted up in free draining mix. Maybe some one else her may know more or you could send your image to the Irish cacti society http://www.irelandcactus.com/
Olwas2013

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said it a year ago but thank u very much for your reply
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> House plants in Ireland, including cut flowers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: