Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Budget Vegetable Gardens From Kitchen Scraps

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Planting asparagus
Last post: Sidney Pink
Happy Christmas
Last post: Sue Deacon
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Quiet times

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: growing avocado and fruiting Reply with quote

I grew an avocado from a seed very sucessfully but indoors in Clare in the 70s. It was with me for about five years but never fruited. I currently have an avocado growing outside here in Essex. It survived a terrible winter by being kept under the cover of a translucent plastic bin, but nearly died when I accidently left the cover off one night after a warm sunny day in March. It is recovering. I have garden temperature readings recorded for the whole winter but not for inside the bin itself during that period. But the fact it survived and is still alive shows it can survive an Essex winter . I also have an orange and a lemon, bought as small trees last year. My brother has harvested lemons now for some years down on the South coast in a very sheltered garden. I've not actually seen any oranges.
angelmum
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for your reply. i guess it won't hurt to try it.

angelmum
Ruby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Bird Seed Reply with quote

We've just noticed carrots and beetroot growing under the bird-table. I'll have to transplant them so maybe they won't grow well. It might be an idea to drop bird-seed in a corner of the garden and see what happens.
walltoall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: transplanting the bird-table Reply with quote

Ruby I don't think you can transplant betroot or any root crop for that matter. Why not transplant the bird table and leave the weens to grow where they are? Lotsa sun and moisture and a pinch of TLC.
simonj
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with shop bought Garlic as a concern over food miles really, and they seem to be doing OK - they did come from China originally though.
That does annoy me - garlic from China, are France not in the EU FFS!!!
Went down late Jan I think.

Another crop thats doing well are Kerr pinks ( I think) that were being dumped from a local shop.
I chitted them, and they have come up faster than the certified Orla and Setanta.

One of the varieties that I am most proud of are Mr Littles Yeltholm Gypsey (I'd like to think they may be the only ones on the Island)
After much trouble I bought a small eating pack online from the UK and they are growing, they were unchitted and went in the ground after all the other spuds, but they are holding their own.

walltoall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Alternative and sustainable gardening practices Reply with quote

I lunched at StreetKitchen last Friday; dessert was cheesecake topped with large dollop of very tasty rhubarb. I asked chef (This guy trained under Marco Pierre White so he has form) why he hadn't put a little ginger through the rhubarb. He said StreetKitchen uses ONLY British ingredients and he was quite unable to source British-grown ginger. Serious searching of the internet across the weekend has not disproved his contention. I have even Googled this facility, which is how I've surfaced on this hoary thread. Rolling Eyes

James (our gaffer) suggests growing ginger at the head of this thread. Belfast, on another thread threatened to grow some last year. I await a progress report. Question

Has anyone now reading ever actually USED a 'tuber' from a plant grown at home? Wouldja like to share the experience with a wider audience? Thousands well hundreds maybe scores or dozens even tens well definitiely ONE contributor awaits with bated breath. Razz

I'm about to try growing ginger, but it'll be NEXT Winter before I can have a result and then only if success attends the venture. I've attached two pictures of Ginger so y'all know what I'm talking about. I already know how to grow the furry one. Twisted Evil

GINGER3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.31 KB
 Viewed:  20181 Time(s)

GINGER3.jpg

GINGER2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.14 KB
 Viewed:  20181 Time(s)

GINGER2.jpg

Ado 2
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Ginger Reply with quote

I planted ginger that was sprouting in a pot inside, the sprout has grown a few inches but I wont harvested the ginger for a few months see what happens......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: