Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Gooseberry Sawfly alert!

Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Gooseberry Sawfly alert! Reply with quote

The little buggers have arrived in Nenagh. One day they weren't there, yesterday lots of shredded leaves. I sprayed the plant well with a strong washing up liquid mixture, as I caught my index finger in a car door, and cannot squish effectively. Yes, I know some smart bugger will say "use the other hand", but who'll hold the prickly stem while I go leaf by leaf? I'll do the same again today, as heavy rain is forecast for Sunday. Any other controls that people use? I obviously can't use the systemic insecticide (Provado) I keep for control of Vine Weevil on my house plants. Thought about boiling up my roll up butts and spraying that on them.
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would do, but it would kill everything else too. Do you have a bribable, non-squeamish young person available? You could always provide him/her with a pair of marigolds. Sorry to hear about the finger, makes me wince to think of it!
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not Good Guy. With communion in season, the bribe would be so heavy that I might as well buy gooseberries! I'll try making my wife an upside down pear cake and ask really nicely. Weely weely nicely....
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spotted some info about a Nemysis product for use against gooseberry saw fly. I know the Nemaslug one works as I used it last year - time to do it again. They also have a product for wireworms which are a real pest in my garden. I saw these on www.greengardener.uk
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prevent gooseberry sawfly caterpillars, pick a bucket of foxglove leaves and pour over two pints of boiling water, leave for two days, strain and spray on gooseberry plants before any caterpillars are seen. Might be too late for you but you could try.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Mews
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up the gooseberry sawfly is back again for another season. In my garden they strike in 3 waves starting from the 3rd week in April running until June. Since I've only got 6 bushes I just pick them off before they make any progress.

The sawfly also attack Aquilega which I have growing in among some of the bushes.

If you look carefully you will see semicircular holes at the edges of some of the leaves, the sawfly are on the underside and can be squished between your fingers.

More details: http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/goosesawfly.htm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: