Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

A wood preservative that WORKS?

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Happy Christmas
Last post: Margo
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue - This comes round from time to time and, if I can ask you to scroll back to a post from 'Ray and Fiona' of 3 July 2013, you'll see a pic of the concrete boards that I've had up for 8 years. They're still as good as the day I installed them and will probably carry on that way.

I haven't overlooked the fact that you've already got this year's timber but it won't last, I'm afraid. Even if you manage to cover it in plastic (not impossible) it'll sweat and rot that way, and that's assuming you manage not to stick a fork or something through it.

Sorry to be a pessimist but only something like oak will have any viable life span and that would cost the proverbial arm and a leg.

Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Blowin, I'll bear that in mind. I have sucessfully treated garden furniture with Linseed diluted with white spirit (which seems to take it into the wood). I wonder if that would work on the insides?

I pulled out the old corner posts which were 2"x2"x18". The bottom 6", although wet were solid, thus proving the anaerobic qualities of peat bogs!
Blowin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all these old fashioned things there's usually an 'if'. I heard about the alder being used for piles in water, i.e. UNDER water where air can't get at them, but above ground it's prone to rotting and is only a second rate firewood. What you say about oiling your garden furniture is again right because rain will run off it and so not penetrate BUT I don't think that can be used for your raised bed timber, as the inside soil is up against it all the time.

The new Creotex creosote substitute seems quite good. I've used it on an untreated shed door where it's worked well but, again, it makes it difficult for the rain to soak in quickly as it falls so it runs off. If wet soil is up against it 24/7/365 you may find a quite different story. Many of the treatments will improve timber durability but long term a few bob on concrete will be a good investment.

As a final thought, also from personal experience, your local tyre centre will love you to bits if you relieve him of old tyres. Six years ago I got a couple of huge tractor tyres, sawed off most of one side wall on each, placed heavy cardboard on the ground to stop weeds coming through and laid the tyres down on top of it before filling with soil. Still perfectly OK today. If you get four and place them in a square (2 x 2), you not only have the four individual beds, you have a smallish star shaped bit in the middle which is ideal for things like mint that you don't need too much of and mustn't be allowed to spread.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowin - your bit about the tyres reminded of our old lurcher, Katie. She would 'find' tyres on the beach and bring them to us to throw - like a frisby! Have you any idea of the weight of a tyre filled with wet sand! Shocked She would bring them back to the car and throw them under the back as if to say 'I'm taking that home'. So we did, and for a while we had an assortment of tyres, floats and other junk lying around the garden.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With all these old fashioned things there's usually an 'if'. I heard about the alder being used for piles in water, i.e. UNDER water where air can't get at them, .

Some beneath the water in Venice I believe.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might explain why it's sinking!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Amsterdam too. The water levels are monitored very closely so as the timber piles never get exposed. If they do they rot when exposed to air.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go, Sue. The bits about timber seem to be coming together - no doubt not to your complete liking but reasonably conclusive?

I might have suggested you get a bigger dog that can handle tractor tyres but..... I suppose you haven't got room for an elephant?

I don't think we'd better enquire what Tagwex was doing in Amsterdam.

tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on an informative, cultural and educational visit.

tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Good GUY! Where is my bulb of garlic?

Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Tagwex, p.m. me your findings. You'd better be quick, there's not much left!
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only have the name so far. I'm really busy at work for the next few days (going to Cork city in the morning, have to be there for 8am) I might get some time on Saturday for the rest. Do you go to the Square and Compass restaurant after watching a Finn Harps match?

Good guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you work that out for yourself. I'm down to my last three bulbs of garlic!
I have some good memories of Cork. I tried to get a job there, once, too. Munster's loss, I have to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: