Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com

How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Most Recent Posts Storm approaching
Last post: Keeks
Curator wanted.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
CURATOR OF PLANTS DUBLIN ZOO.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Kim
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a strong instinct that I should not have said anything on this thread! Oh well live and learn!
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, Kim. You have provoked a most useful discussion and shaken up any tendency to stale coziness. Nothing is so good it can't be improved!
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to comment and any post, whether you agree or disagree, Sometimes I've jumped in myself and wondered if I should have left it alone, I started the post wondering about membership problems and I think James the moderator fairly commented on them and everyone else is welcome to have their say, even if they go off on a different tangent.
Kim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that had been my take on it. Anyhow, I can only apologise if I have offended anyone, or disrupted the camaraderie.
TMAK
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI I just read through this thread,

Im new to the forum too, there are sometimes that a new member would feel outside the loop
with Banter and such, but is that not normal until you settle in.

Just one thing there was a question about improving the site, I'm not sure if it had been mentioned before
but would it be possible to have a section for swapping plants, especially at this time of year when people
start to grow seedlings, you can often end up with too many and it would be great to be able swap them or
give them to somebody who needs them.
or a for sale or wanted section

Just a thought
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just one thing there was a question about improving the site, I'm not sure if it had been mentioned before
but would it be possible to have a section for swapping plants, especially at this time of year when people
start to grow seedlings, you can often end up with too many and it would be great to be able swap them or
give them to somebody who needs them.
or a for sale or wanted section

Just a thought

Welcome TMAK.
We have a section titled...... Plant Propagation, increasing your stock of plants in Ireland. here...... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39
Folks have started and engaged in plant swap threads there before.
Feel free to to start a thread listing what you have for swap.

That section of the site can get a bit lost as it is so far down the page, so it is on my to-do list to make it more prominent when I shape the site more to the posters needs.
Thanks for your valuable input.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMAK wrote:
there are sometimes that a new member would feel outside the loop

New members become old members very quickly when they just barge in and go with the flow. We don't bite!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ James
I have been meaning to ask but kept forgetting. Following on from your detailed and thought provoking responses I still had a query. Can you explain why there are ALWAYS 20 to 30 'guests' logged on as it mystifies me. Is it a computer thing where some people always have that window open or what?

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@ James
I have been meaning to ask but kept forgetting. Following on from your detailed and thought provoking responses I still had a query. Can you explain why there are ALWAYS 20 to 30 'guests' logged on as it mystifies me. Is it a computer thing where some people always have that window open or what?

The guests are search engine crawlers and non members or non-logged in members currently visiting.
I hope this helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
tagwex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I had guessed the latter two were part of the number but I just couldn't figure out why it was a fairly constant number at all hours of the day. Now I have to find out what a search engine trawler is.

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.If I were to poll people who have joined in the last 6 months and who do post would you add any extra questions?

5. Should I mass email all registered users to remind them that we are still here?

Did any of the above happen James?

How about e-mailing the posters who had say 100+ posts and conduct a straw poll as to why they have departed. Then without naming them post up their reasons so as we, the regulars, can maybe learn something from it.

One time regulars that spring to mind straight away would be Kim, Sive, My Potatoes, Lius, Simonj and sgmgarden to name but a few.

Only trying to help.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Sive's contributions. Sad
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Good guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been missing her contributions, too.
tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She had that homely, practical, motherly way about her.

Hosta Frequency Kenneth
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a lurker, a voyeur and an occasional poster. I drop in on the site every few weeks to look over new posts and occasionally I ask a question and get a very satisfactory answer.

I think a forum has to decide if it wants to be very functional and strict, (like ask about money) where the user gets exactly the information they require and is booted or deleted if they break rules or go off topic. This type of board is very useful but heavily moderated. The gardening section on boards.ie is less strict, but also quite effective for finding solutions to answers. It is also heavily moderated.

Or does it want to be a social club, where the new user is alienated and frustrated by the diversions and tangents, but a small group of friends have a place to hang out and enjoy themselves.

At the other end of the spectrum is the very esoteric people's republic of cork forum which is basically 10 or 12 users slagging each other and little or no moderation at all.

To maintain a balance I think people should at least stick to the topic, it enhances the site's functionality and makes it more attractive to visitors. There should be a separate area for non specific banter.

I agree with the idea that the board needs less sections. They're not necessary. For example, If I want to find out about an olive tree in this site I will google garden plans Ireland olive tree....I won't look down through the categories. All the categories do for me is make it harder to read new posts. Because I am interested in all aspects of gardening, I don't need each area separated. Boards.ie gardening section has no categories at all and it works fine.

This is my favourite gardening site for asking questions, the knowledge is great and the main attraction for me. I occasionally answer questions too if I can.

Thanks for the site and all the input, it's very useful to us non regular posters!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> How to get the most out of Irishgardeners.com All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: