Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

...What did you do Today...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 229, 230, 231  Next  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Margo
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We was lucky and had 2 days before being told that he had cancer. We cann't praise the Health Authority over here highly enough. We have said so many times if we was still living in UK we dread to think what would have happened. So many of our friends haven't had it sorted for 6 months. By the time you get an appointment with your GP which could be up to a couple of weeks, where as getting it referred to hospital is even longer. Our son had to wait 14 months to have his gall bladder removed (non cancer). Problem being with cancer you can't afford to wait that long. Thats why we praise the Health Authority here and try to put as much as we can to help them.
This is where we stayed for 6 weeks
http://www.cancercarewest.ie/inis-aoibhinn/
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that Margo...but the Day places like that have to close down because of falling Attendances is the Day I and countless Millions others will Celebrate with Joy...continued recovery to you both...
Margo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:
Thanks for sharing that Margo...but the Day places like that have to close down because of falling Attendances.

This is a residential place and does have a job to get people in there. Some people come from Donegal in a coach Mon and return Friday. Its an hours journey for us and we did try to travel each day (to give others a chance)but after a fortnight had to give in as he was so tired.
Its all funded by the Cancer Foundation and rely on donations as well. They get quite a bit in donations because like us people are so grateful. Even though it was a harrowing time we can honestly say it was a very happy 6 weeks as the staff are superb. The residents are all in the same boat so very open in conversation
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bro' in Law is attending the local Hospice here in Sligo for the same reason and he organizes Coffee Mornings... he praises the Staff regularly so they must be specially Handpicked for the Job which I've no doubt is not a pleasant one...It's only when someone close to you is affected that you really feel the agony that they must be going through...

I occasionally took People from Sligo to Galway when I drove the Coaches and their Cheery outlook very often made me ashamed of my petty complaints but they did help me to think differently and now I'm careful before airing any Gripes... My Sister also lost Her Husband through Cancer and now raises Funds for the McMillan Charity in England...
Margo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say until your affected you just don't think how lucky you are to be healthy, especially all these people complain even about breaking a fingernail. They just don't know how lucky they are
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Irish are a funny Race...we're not happy unless we're finding fault with something...Overheard 2 Lads Greeting each other a while back...the conversation went something like this.

{Mick} "How's it going Jim,long time no see...{Jim} Not bad at all Mick,cant complain,..{Mick} Your looking well...{Jim} Aye,and that's what has me worried"...

I never stood around to hear the rest but even in the good times the "BUT" surfaces...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I spent the best part laying Electrical Cabling underground from the House to the Grandchildrens Playhouse and the Garden Tool Storage Shed...now it's just a matter of getting it connected but meantime I can continue putting the finishing touches to the Playhouse...I've also extended the Platform outside and fitted a Handrail around it...

My Neighbour Jim has a covered-in 4 Wheeled Aluminium Trailer which he used for Storage during the Construction of His House which He is getting rid of...it's worst for wear but with a little TLC it could easily become another "Wanderly Wagon" when a Timber Exterior is fitted and a Window...just ideal for the Children then I could take over the Playhouse completely...there are several Windows and a Perspex Roof fitted so would be ideal for a Glass House and a "Men's Shed"...

This Morning amid Blustery strong Winds and Face-cutting Hail Stones I took my Walk...it was only Windy when I started but coming to the end the Hail Stones let loose without warning almost cutting my Skin such was the force of it ,not a very nice Experience Thankfully it only lasted a few Seconds and stopped as quickly as it began...I wont be doing anything today as Snow is forecast for this Afternoon and High Winds,so it's Feet up and Head back for a few DVD's...
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and crosswords and MASH and coffee and cigarettes and that infernal country and western music.........

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some lovely Scot's Pines to the side of the house and a row of Spruce behind us. When we first moved in the spruce were just visible over the roof ridge. Now they tower over us.

We've been 'umming and arring' about their future for some years now. I don't want to cut them (especially the pines) and last weekend I started to clear the 4-5ft gaps between them, with an idea of lifting the canopy further and planting hazel between them.

But after the recent gales and todays horizontal hail, I am SERIOUSLY thinking about removing some, if not all of them. I don't want to, but them I don't want one to come crashing through the roof!

That combined with losing some apple trees to honey fungus - I am not a happy bunny! Sad
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the DVD's will have the C&W included...Mash ain't on til' 7pm and the Percolator is already warming up...the Log Stove is Blazing away so you about summed it up...have a lovely Day...I know I will...
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:

But after the recent gales and todays horizontal hail, I am SERIOUSLY thinking about removing some, if not all of them. I don't want to, but them I don't want one to come crashing through the roof!
Sad

That is a dilemma...my Son-in-law was faced with the same choice but instead of removing them completely he cut several Feet of the Height of them bringing them down to a manageable size...within a Season you'd never know he was after doing it...
Qzy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margo wrote:
How sad. I'm afraid cancer doesn't take prisoners. My husband had problems swallowing a tablet so went straight to the doctors. He was refereed to the hospital at Castlebar who did a camera down the throat. They rung us next day and said its cancer of the oesophagus (foodpipe) and to go straight to Galway.. After 6 weeks chemo/radiotherapy a couple of weeks later he had 10 hour surgery to remove half of the oesophagus and the top of his stomach. That was all in less than 6 months. HE IS NOW CANCER FREE.
My advise to anybody is if they feel unwell, find lumps, bleeding. change of diet or toilet problems. or as my husband had problem swallowing go straight to your doctor. You may be frightened but its best to find out the problem as soon as possible.
For chemo/radiotherapy we stopped at the Lodge at Galway Hospital for 6 weeks. They are angels. Its like a family in there as everybody is in the same boat. We are so grateful that we try to help by doing Lollipop Day and at Castlebar my husband goes and talks to people that are going through the same worry that we had.
A long post but I am very eager on getting the point over, if there's a problem go to your doctor straight away.
My thoughts are with you and your friends family

My father dies of this nasty cancer about 7 years ago - mainly as he didn't get checked out quickly enough!
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you could 'top' spruce? I thought I would just be left with an 8ft telegraph pole!
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had a mixture of Pine Trees and wanting to keep his privacy he just cut away at them...initial appearances after the cut wasn't pretty but it didn't bother him....not everyones solution....what suited him may not suit you...no doubt someone more knowledgeable will advise but that was my Observation of his situation...
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm interesting. It might work with pines, thanks. How are the DVD's going? Laughing

I was down at Creevy Pier earlier - AWESOME!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 229, 230, 231  Next
Page 60 of 231

Jump to: