Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

The first crop of the season.... Nettles...

Most Recent Posts Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: The first crop of the season.... Nettles... Reply with quote

It's nettle time again...

The first delicious and nutritious crop of the year.

NETTLE SOUP
Don't worry - they don't sting when cooked! Nettles are very nutrient rich and of course - free! Don't gather them beside a busy road where they will have been contaminated by traffic fumes. If you keep cutting them from springtime you get a regular supply of fresh leaves, though they can get a bit insect infested during the summer....

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of vegetable margarine or oil
2 tablespoons of white flour
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
Freshly picked and washed young nettles (several good handfuls - picked with gloves and caution!)
2 cups soya milk.
1 cup water or stock
salt and pepper to taste

Fry the onion and garlic in the oil or margarine for a few minutes then stir in the nettles (no need to chop or remove stalks) until they soften. Stir in the flour and gradually add the soya milk and water or stock, stirring all the time. Add seasonings and liquidise. Delicious.

Ian

Last edited by inishindie on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rosiemoo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: The first crop of the season...nettles! Reply with quote

Hello,
this is my first post to this site. At this moment I am in Tucson, AZ in the US. But on Wednesday morning I will be in Clare. Yeah! And I am looking forward to my crop of nettles.

I love making fresh pasta, so I use fresh nettles, blanched, finely chopped and added to the flour and egg mix for fresh pasta. Then I blanch more nettles, chop fine, saute a bit of shallot , add ricotta cheese and freshly grated parmesan and stuff the rolled fresh pasta with the nettle and cheese. A bit of work, but well worth it. Can't buy nettle pasta at Supervalue!
inishindie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum Yum..........I'm off to the kitchen............
inishindie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: First crop Reply with quote

Hi

I hope everyone is out in the sunshine on this lovely bank holiday - collecting the first crop of nettles for a delicious soup......

Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked What sunshine! it's pouring with rain here Crying or Very sad
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
spider
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettles hell , Just finished this evening clearing nettle roots out of some ground,They have the damdest root ever .Dont care if i never see another one
inishindie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: selling Reply with quote

It might not be long before you can start to sell nettles.....

The Department of the environment have given a grant of €743,000 to test out the nettle fibres to see how they stand up as clothing.

Students in England have come up with this novel way of proving that the material is versatile.

As yet the conclusion is that clothes made from the plant are a bit itchy to wear but the students are finding plenty of other ways to exploit the versatility of the plant fibres. They are testing how strong the fabric is on cushion covers and curtains and they are also thinking of making hardwearing uniforms, which need to be tough and durable.

Nettles used as clothing and fabric isn't a new idea by all means. Hundreds of years ago nettles and flax hemp were commonly used for clothing but their popularity dwindled when cotton became widely used in the 17th century. One reason for the renewed interest in this method of manufacturing is because of the growing fears of a worldwide shortage of cotton. Countries such as China and India are using more and more cotton in their products. Cotton tends to be difficult to grow and needs good quality land a warm climate and fertile soil.
Land such as this is being exploited more and more for intensive farming food production. Nettles on the other hand will grow well in cool damp climates like ours.

There may come a time in the not too distant future where the fields of Ireland will be harvesting nettles to clothe the world...

Cheers

Ian

nettles.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.96 KB
 Viewed:  9281 Time(s)

nettles.jpg

Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brilliant idea. I can stop doing any hard work and have a valuable crop in a few years!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: