Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

...What did you do Today...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 229, 230, 231  Next  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Mz_G
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be such a pleasure to ramble along there with that view, and the Acer is gorgeous. I'm considering hiring a rotovater. Are they difficult to use? Expensive to rent? Maybe i can get the other half to help if i fill him full of coffee. It turns out what we have here isn't a pick axe after all its shaped like one but much smaller. For now im mostly limited to using whatever we have here.

Today i dug out the area id marked for a small raised bed, managed down to about ankle depth before i hit what feels like concrete but could just be very compacted soil. Then i threw in some water and a mixture of shop compost and wood chip. Ive been researching instructions on building a low dry wall (use up some of those friggin rocks!). Or else i could saw some decking into small enough pieces to do a semi circle.

Just posting all this in the hopes that if i'm going wrong you guys will set me straight Smile
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mz G, if the tool you have resembles that in the illustration, it is a mattock : http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattock
I regarded it as my most useful tool when "breaking in" this garden; great for chopping through roots as well as digging up rocks. I used it first, to loosen the soil, before digging with a fork - like you, I could only get a spade or fork about four inches into the ground.
The rotovator I used was hard work - it will test your back, shoulder and abdominal muscles, especially when it hits rocks! But it should do a good job.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
it was the drink talking!

I'm sure Authur Guinness would be turning in his grave if he heard all the things he is being blamed on...
Good guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the lawn and trimmed the edges, pulled some weeds, saved some bluebell seeds for an An Taisce project, harvested and froze runner beans, made chutney, swept floors, shopped, cooked, did washing and put it away, supervised homework.......
I'm tired!
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit dampish down here this morning. But that's no excuse not to get out there and get down and dirty. Spent last week stoning the bank around my house. Looks a lot better now, will wait a couple of weeks to plant it up. Spent the last 2 days making gates for the entrance, just timber ones. Had a look around recently, they were looking for €500 +, thought to myself, it ain't rocket science, so materials cost €140, 2 leisurely days cutting, screwing, bolting, routing, welding, scratching my head, standing back in admiration of my many talents (I do this a lot, it really slows the whole process down Laughing ) and of course many coffee breaks to ponder the problems encountered, job done, now just to hang them. Ok, better make a move, lots to do, so little time to do it.
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ wrote:
. Spent the last 2 days making gates for the entrance, just timber ones. Had a look around recently, they were looking for €500 +, thought to myself, it ain't rocket science, so materials cost €140, 2 leisurely days cutting, screwing, bolting, routing, welding, scratching my head, standing back in admiration of my many talents (I do this a lot, it really slows the whole process down Laughing ) and of course many coffee breaks to ponder the problems encountered,.

A man after me own Heart...why make the Fat Cats Fatter when you can do it and look back and say "I did it myself"...well done... Very Happy
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
standing back in admiration of my many talents.

If you did a bad job then you wouldn't have to spend so much time admiring your own handiwork and then you would get more done, just like Geranimojess!

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Quote:

If you did a bad job then you wouldn't have to spend so much time admiring your own handiwork and then you would get more done, just like Geranimojess!

Don't pass any heed to those comments...Tagwax loves to stir it...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as long as your happy with your efforts why give a Fiddlers what anyone else thinks........Tagwax...you are your own worst enemy... Confused
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am past 90 years of age and people get miserable, bad tempered, grumpy and crotchety in their old age so therefore I am entitled!

Geranimojess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
I am past 90 years of age and people get miserable, bad tempered, grumpy and crotchety in their old age so therefore I am entitled!

Haven't got the time to be any of those...I'm tooooo busy enjoying Life... you ought' to try it sometime it's Brilliant... Wink
AJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
Quote:

Of course there is the coffee breaks, smoke breaks, thinking how could I do that better, the next time breaks and so on. So progress is really slow Rolling Eyes , but the job gets done eventually.

AJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:
AJ wrote:
. Spent the last 2 days making gates for the entrance, just timber ones. Had a look around recently, they were looking for €500 +, thought to myself, it ain't rocket science, so materials cost €140, 2 leisurely days cutting, screwing, bolting, routing, welding, scratching my head, standing back in admiration of my many talents (I do this a lot, it really slows the whole process down Laughing ) and of course many coffee breaks to ponder the problems encountered,.

A man after me own Heart...why make the Fat Cats Fatter when you can do it and look back and say "I did it myself"...well done... Very Happy

Yep, that's me. Sometimes I see things and think to myself, I can do that myself, and possibly do it better (may not always be the case) Laughing

AJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:

You have described the better half to a tee and she is only just over the half century, God help me when she see's 90 Embarassed

AJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the day finishing off the gates, although didn't get them hung, ran into a little problem called concrete at the base of one pillar and what I could only describe as a boulder right in the way on the other pillar. Will have to hire a kango in the morning. Did a bit of a tidy up in the shed, and cleared a little area for a bed of bulbs for next year.
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranimojess wrote:
Tagwax...you are your own worst enemy... Confused

Lads, let me give you a clue. If I use an exclamation mark it means that I am joking, if I use a full stop then I mean it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 229, 230, 231  Next
Page 48 of 231

Jump to: