Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Raised bed compost filling

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
My Potatoes
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case you're probably better off going to a growing media supplier such as Mulch.ie or Landscape Depot. A cubic metre of standard topsoil is about 50 or you can specify exactly what (clay/sand/silt ratio, pH, etc) for about 70.
You'll find that cows manure straight from the farm will contain silage plastic and nylon from bales of hay. And lots of weed seeds. Horse manure can contain worming residue which kills earthworms.
Seaweed from the shore will contain plastic and other flotsam. I found the elastic waistband from a discarded underpants in my most recent load!
Leaf mould should be almost contaminant free, so long as its collect away from paths and roadways.
Judging the best material is a matter of choice, judging the best price is easy; but the best material for the best price will be down to the user.

Last edited by My Potatoes on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caz87 wrote:
I'm not worried about the nutrient side of things, as I said, iv free access to manure.

Contrary to popular belief, manure is not high in nutrients. Its primary benefit to the soil is by improving the structure.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, manure is not high in nutrients. Its primary benefit to the soil is by improving the structure.

You have me now my potatoes, I had always heard that good old horse sh1t was the best thing ever to put on the ground. Regularly heard old gardeners stating it over the years. Any science to back it up? I am not disbelieving you but I am wondering.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just as surprised as you, Tagwex, to read MyPotatoes comment, especially as we have a free supply of horse manure from our neighbours and feel extremely fortunate to do so. I'll be doing some googling methinks to see what the facts are.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, oh why did we always dash out in the road with a shovel if a horse left an offering outside our place? Why do farmers spread slurry on their fields?

Surely natural manure is Nature's original fertiliser. Hence chicken droppings for leeks etc. As others have said, leaf mould and composted vegetation of any sort is beneficial. It makes absolute sense - if a plant has matured to a healthy size, it must have derived its success from nutrients in the soil which are still there in its various parts. By returning them to the soil, that goodness can be recycled for whatever comes next. If that wasn't the system, there'd have to be an inexhaustible supply of new minerals - which there ain't!

The nutritional value of a particular manure will inevitably depend on the food the animal has eaten - not forgetting all the other junk that farmers pile into them these days - and, because horses will tend to be looked after rather better than other livestock, their's is probably better, but only for that reason.

tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MY POTATOES: COME IN MY POTATOES YOUR NUMBER IS UP, EXPLAIN YOURSELF THE PUBLIC ARE DEMANDING TO KNOW..........

Hey Blowin, I too go out with the shovel and gather up the green goodness, bit of a horsey area around here.

My Potatoes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
@MY POTATOES: COME IN MY POTATOES YOUR NUMBER IS UP, EXPLAIN YOURSELF THE PUBLIC ARE DEMANDING TO KNOW..........

Nice to see some traffic on this forum, isn't it?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is, as I have been thinking that for the number of views compared to the number of comments that there must be a lot of voyeurs out there.

GET INVOLVED - SHARE THE WISDOM.

ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nitrogen and potassium levels in horse manure are quite high and cheap. Its use therefore is to be recommended. Have a look at this link it gives a table of NPK content of various animal manures. Some poultry manure along with horse would seem to cover all bases.
www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1192.html

Regards, Ian.
My Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that I was referring to "farmyard manure", ie cow and horse, rather than other forms such as chicken.
I've never conducted any nutrient analysis myself.

When I studied horticulture it was emphasised that FYM was added to the soil as a soil conditioner rather than a fertiliser. Yes, it does contain nutrients but this was not its primary usage.
All my classmates (including myself) were surprised by this, bar one. He worked in a garden centre and was aware of this, though he did say that none of his customers were aware of it.
At other stages of the course if we suggested the use of FYM as a fertiliser we were warned that this would lose us marks.
Maybe it was just a "thing" of the RHS examiners.
Anyway, since then, I'd always ensure to use an appropriate fertilizer, as well as FYM for the purpose of improving the soil structure; an act which would make nutrients more available anyway.

Just to emphasise one point, I never suggest that manure does not contain nutrients, is not good or that its use is not essential.

Somebody wrote of farmers using slurry, which brings another interesting point. "Slurry" usually refers to fresh manure, high in nitrogen which is why the grass grows so well. But we've all be warned to use "well-rotted manure", which will have significantly lower amounts of nitrogen.

In the past I did some googling on the matter and most of the suggestion that FYM is high is nutrients is from manufacturers, vendors and amateurs. Even the link provided gives a table of analysis of fresh manure rather than the stuff that us gardeners use.
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that has put us all in our place and we all thought we knew about shite (obviously we just talk it) ! Just look what a bit of education can do. I for one, am honoured to be in your presence my potatoes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: