Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Which Climbing Plant?

Most Recent Posts woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bren1971
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Which Climbing Plant? Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I'm Brendan from Dublin and new to the forum.

I don't have any green fingers whatsoever but have reached the stage in life where I'd like to start planting a bit...

We have a 5ft side wall which I have fixed some trellis to all the way along (circa 10m) and now I'd like to plant a creeper/climbing plant to hide the wall in effect, but which is also low maintenance? (ie no pruning).

The wall is east facing so the plant would gain from the sun from morning to afternoon.
Not too pushed on colours/flowers etc but have always liked the wine colour our Ivy used to turn in Autumn years ago..although I don't want Ivy.
I attach a pic and am thinking Virginia Creeper?
Can I still plant at this late stage ot he year?

Any advice much appreciated! Very Happy

Brendan.

IMG_1107.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  459.35 KB
 Viewed:  5031 Time(s)

IMG_1107.JPG

Brendan.
tippben
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is going to need pruning, or more importantly, training, as you want it to grow horizontally. Don't use Virginia creeper. That is far too rampant, and can grow a foot a week, easily, in summer. It is definitely not a low maintenance plant. Ivy will eventually clog the space between the wall and the trellis, pushing the wood outwards, probably before the trellis rots.

Whatever you decide on, buy smaller plants, and start training them horizontally, as close to the ground as you can. They will then grow upwards from that lateral. These new shoots can then be trained on to the next bit of trellis etc. That's how you will be able to cover the space properly. If you like Ivies, try them. I'd probably go for Trachelospermum jasminoides. Grows about a foot a year, evergreen, great scent in summer, and the leaves tend to redden on exposure to cold temperatures.
bren1971

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and directions Ben, I'll go for that one so, the Star Jasmine looks good...

Was thinking of planting it in the ground directly or would a raised bed be more beneficial?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont plant Ivy or Virginia creeper just spent the week removing the stuff.
How about the following Lonicera (Honeysuckle), Most rambling roses, Clematis
montana, Hydrangea petiolaris, Passiflora caerulea,
Trachelospermum or Wisteriia. all flowering and scented. You can plant potted or container grown plants directly into the ground anytime of the year providing the ground is not frozen or we are not having a drought saying that Autumn or spring is best time . I would not build a raised bed there Rudbeckia in a big clump would add intrest and color this time of year.
Edlyn12
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend Honeysuckle and climber rose.I have one climbing Rose and I have a Lonicera Japonica(Japanese Honeysuckle)
Edlyn12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: