Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Greenhouse suppliers, small hobby greenhouses in Ireland

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Gravel Drive towed rake??
Last post: tagwex
the first of 2020
Last post: Greengage
Help please.. holm oak problems
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
fuinnseog
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok sounds about average then from what the other GH instructions say. Will try and rope somebody in!

Is that last bit of your post from another topic? If you're on to your 2nd GH surely this is not your first year gardening?! Wink But i'll answer it just in case it is...So far I've sowed chillis, beetroot, parsnips, coriander, basil, parsely, coleus, marigolds, hanging basket sweet pea, lobelia & campanulas. Will sow toms and aubergines next weekend. What about yourself?
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used it for anything other than potted plants.

This time round I'm doing the seed thing, at the moment I have about 50 different packets of seeds all for summer bedding, not sowing huge quantities of any one seed, but need about 600 plants for this season. I have a heated propagator, elec heater, just got some soil warming cable, and also put in some artificial lighting as well, so just kinda hoping everything works out.

Just checked u'r list of seeds and doing the same bedders, plus things like geraniums, Fuschia, digitalis, lupins, petunia's, delphinium's, carnations and more.

fuinnseog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha I see! But now you will be addicted to the seed business!
Wow that's a lot of plants! You will have a great display. Best of luck with it.

Will have to cool my jets on the sowing till the weather calms down and I get my plastic GH up. All windowsills full now...
AJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the plan comes together as the A team used to say, great, if not well i suppose i'll have to start over again.

talk to u soon.

ian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuinnseog,
how are you at DIY? you can buy 6' x 12' sheets of polycarbonate 6 mm thick, for about 120 euro each, either route or screw them onto a wood frame and there is one side. PC is UV resistant fro 20 years.
vink plastics in sandyford would be able to advise on thinner cheaper alternatives e.g. acrylic (perspex).
regards, Ian.
fuinnseog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
Must admit I'm fairly pathetic at the DIY, flat pack furniture is about the sum total of my experience!
Not sure how I'd go about constructing the wooden frame to start with! Embarassed
If i had a set of instructions and everything supplied pre-cut etc I would probably be ok! Thanks for the tip.

Still waiting to here from the council about getting a sliver of land from a laneway at the rear of our back garden so I've held off the GH mission for now. My plastic 6x4x2 and a mini 3 tier GH is going to have to keep me going for another month or so. Hopefully I'll erect something over the summer though! Very Happy
Joaney
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Glasshouse Reply with quote

Embarassed

I am not a natural at DIY but usually get by that is until it came to a glass house that came in several pieces this was about 2 years ago unfortunatly it is still in pieces as I have failed to put it together . The glasshouse cost me over €350 which to me was a fairly large purchase I then asked a local handyman if he could do it he woul for €500 so my glass house will remain in pieces. sadly Evil or Very Mad

jameswburke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuinnseog wrote:
Thanks verge, but seeing as I will be struggling to accomodate a 4x6 lean to i don't think i'll be able to squeeze in a polytunnel! :lol:
Don't think i'd be able to build one by myself either, not got the know how or strength! :D

A new company is making small polytunnels in Carlow: jmpolytunnels.com
Might be worth a call?
sirpsycho
Rank attained: Pedunculate oak tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the hunt for a small greenhouse, thinking 6ft x 6ft.

Found this in Homebase:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1726204

(6ft x 6ft with safety glass).

Prices seem pretty similar in B&Q and Woodies from what I've seen. My main decision is the type of glass, i've ruled out the horticultural glass because apparently it's weak and breaks in large shards (not good with 2 nippers running around). There is polycarbonate also but i've seen a greenhouse in action with this stuff and it makes a fair old rattle in the wind. On the plus side it's almost immune from breakages. Then comes safety glass. I'm thinking this is the best all-rounder since it's pretty strong and when it breaks it doesnt shatter into shards. Also, it would be a lot heavier than the polycarbonate so I presume it would hold the greenhouse frame together better.

Poly-tunnels are ruled out due to the aforementioned nippers who may decide to punch holes in the plastic with their bob the builders.

Just looking for any tips and comments ye may have on where to buy and what type of glass to choose.

Cheers in advance.
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homebase (in Drogheda anyways) have a deal on for a 6ft x 4ft aluminium frame /polycarbon greenhouse on special. €119 at the moment which is half price. People were hoovering them up tonight.
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 6ft x 4ft greenhouse and she's built now.

Now I need staging / shelving... help!?

Anyone know where to buy some or got some simple designs to make some yourself?

I've got a friend on the lookout for a used bottle stand, not looking promising though.
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6 x 6 green house that I bought from hombase two years ago and got a friend and my husband to erect it and it has been the most successful thing I could have done. I have staging in the greenhouse which I got from Argos, which had a 2 for 1 offer last year, and I keep one inside the greenhouse and one outside for hardening off plants. I have my seeds in propagators on the staging in the greenhouse and they are coming on nicely.

I know that homebase in Drogheda have a 15% sale this week end, they may have the shelving, I paid €17.00 last year. What type of bottle stand are you looking for, Ballygowan type bottle? I buy the water for the company I work for so I may be able to help.
Maeve
sirpsycho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any links to the staging you bought in Argos Maeve?
Maeve Drogheda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argos.ie, is the website I went on. Garden DIY section, greenhouses, then greenhouse staging pack, 720/1840 is the code and the cost this year is: €26.99. But maybe you could make up something similar from old pallets as suggested by a previous member.

Any luck with the bottle stand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: