Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

How to kill a whitethorn hedge?

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Back in Business
Last post: tagwex
Weed Identification
Last post: Keeks
Elstar and discovery apple
Last post: Greengage
Help please.. holm oak problems
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
willie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Meathman,

Get a good picture of the trunk from the ground to at least four feet up.

Maybe also one of the overall tree and one of the view.

That would be great.

Willie.
MeathMan

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images attached. About 100 metres on this boundary and as you can see a very patchy but well established in places hedge. I'm putting a chainlink fence along here to keep the kids in. I'm not against a lower hedge remaining but I also need to minimise my maintenance

securedownload (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.06 KB
 Viewed:  18282 Time(s)

securedownload (1).jpg

securedownload (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.08 KB

securedownload (2).jpg

securedownload (3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.48 KB

securedownload (3).jpg

securedownload (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.66 KB

securedownload (4).jpg

securedownload.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.03 KB

securedownload.jpg

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeathMan wrote:
Its on my land and its going... despite the legalities!

welcome to ireland!
willie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Meathman,

Thanks for the photos. Nice lawn. I'll just say a couple of things real quick. First off, your hedgerow,even at this low height is an important wildlife habitat and has great value as it stands. But I'm sure you know this so I wont patronise you with any bleeding heart sermons. Its your hedge and so long as you're sure that you are entitled to remove it and are determined to do so, then Good Luck Crying or Very sad .

So as for the hedge itself. I cant see the trunks from the photos you posted and I'm not going to ask you to get more photos. But the hedge look relatively small and within the thicket of branches there may be eligible trucks for the purpose of Bonsai. An eligible trunk would ideal be one with a diameter of 3-4inches.(But thats not a rule).

You need to clear away the growth between all the trunks to see the actual trunk without necessarily removing all the foliage. See how many trunks you have and their diameters and their shapes.

you say you don't want to do maintenance and at this point making a bonsai or numerous bonsais from these trees will be relatively maintenance free for the first part , but to make projects of these then considerable work will be required down the road.

If you decide you aren't interested in bonsai then the amount of work required to collect and bonsai these trees wont suit you, but if you have the trunks cleared and exposed and cut and ready you could probably find enthusiasts who would gladly take them off your hands.

For the moment you can cut all the trees back to a height of say 600mm above ground and clear away the ragged foliage in between, put up your chainlink fence and forget about them for the rest of the year until the buds start to grow back from lower parts of the trunk. Next year you will dig them all up ( or get a bonsai enthusiast to do it)

Have a look at this series of photos and step by step guide to the process.

I knw you are probably already sorry you asked but if you look at these pics you will see the amazing potential that a lowly hawthorn stump actually has.... Smile

If you're still not convinced, bear in mind some Bonsai Head might pay good money to get their hands on a few of your stumps.

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATHawthornLilfordProgression.htm
willie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more point Meathman,

If you ultimately decide to remove the hedges , or bonsai them, you should consider waiting till, the end of this years nesting season. The view aint goin nowhere. Wink
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is a bit patchy but must hold a lot of wild life,i have a hedge like it but i`ve left it to grow taller, from my dining room window i watch a multitude of little birds flying in and out of it,all different colours,if i hadnt sat at my table and watched out i probally wouldnt have noticed them,
can you leave your hedge till it gets to the time they say is ok to cut down,and then you know nothing has suffered if there was any nests in there?
MeathMan

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced. The hedge can stay until autumn and maybe I'll just cut it short then. You have me thinking...Willie, thats remarkable! I thought Bonsais were specific breeds, not trained from common stuff like the whitethorn. It actually looks amazing but unfortunately I haven't got the time. You're welcome to come out and bonsai my whole hedge if you like:)
willie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MeathMan wrote:
I'm convinced. The hedge can stay until autumn and maybe I'll just cut it short then..... You're welcome to come out and bonsai my whole hedge if you like:)

You know you're doing the right thing. Cool Fair play to you.

As far as the Bonsais go, its a common misconception that their is such a species as a Bonsai, No you can Bonsai just about anyhting if you have the patience. I've only been getting into Bonsai for the last few months myself and I have to say I am amazed with what I have already learned. Bonsai is certainly a life choice, same as gardening. I have already initiated about 10 different bonsai projects myself of different technique and species. Frankly I'd love to get my hands on two or three of your best stumps, and who knows if we're both knocking around here next Spring I might take you up on it.

In the meantime you could just do what you said, cut them back to 2ft or so and see if you get many new shoots in Spring. If you do then you could stick an ad in the Buy and Sell. Hawthorn Potential Bonsai Stumps for sale, Who knows? You might be surprised. 10 quid a piece??? I dunno.

Anyway, your a fair man, Meath can be proud of ye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: