Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

polytunnels

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Gravel Drive towed rake??
Last post: tagwex
the first of 2020
Last post: Greengage
Help please.. holm oak problems
If I knew what this is, I could google how to look after it!

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kerrywez
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is looking very good, you have done very well with it. I reckon your idea of using the pipe lagging is a very good one. Hope you can now get down to some planting in it and reap the rewards of all your labour. Well done.

Regards Wez
sillydad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers the one advantage of the small diametre pipe is that lagging fitted over it prob would get on bigger by spreading out more and taping it in place and it was only 40 cent a metre where hotspot tape over a euro and also was much easier to fit the kids actually fitted it
kerrywez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great pity that it would not fit over my tubes, if it did I would defiantly use it, but my tubes are 38 mm so too thick. You have though given me a very good idea for protecting my young plumb trees, which I bought from Lidl, when I stake them. I am going to put the foam round the trunk of the young tree to protect it from being tied to the support stakes when I plant them tomorrow, we got some lying around the shed somewhere.

Regards Wez
sillydad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had tape supplied any who had look your tunnel looks very well nice size and strong frame
kerrywez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, not got much done in the last few days, broke the neighbour's pick axe handle yesterday, but got a new one today. Whilst I was in the builders yard I also picked up two great little thin posts for the stakes to hold the young trees against the wind. I got the hot spot tape with the tunnel, but had to pay for it, though it was not all that dear. Hope to get a full day at the tunnel on Thursday, it is to not be too bad that day. I shall have to wait for a good calm day to put the plastic on it anyway and none of those in the long range forecast, so I am not in any rush.

I have ordered 48 ring culture pots from a garden supplier I have used before, in England, and he has told me that his tunnels have all got wooden or steel bottoms to them and if it gets too warn he can raise them a bit to control the temperature in the tunnel, he has quite a few large tunnels and one of them is a double arch one and he reckons that the trenching of the plastic is not a good idea, so I am now in two minds as to what to do with the plastic. I will figure it out before I go mad and dig more stones and rocks from the trenches.

Hope you have got started with your planting and all is going well with your tunnel and things is going well for you.

Regards Wez
sillydad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i,m no expert but i rekon if he is in south of england that he be getting a much warmer summer than in kerry and im also of the opinion that if you had a door either end that when both open that there shouldn't be excessive heat even on the warmest day if i were you id bury the plastic secure the tunnel cost alot more than any plants you may loose if it gets too hot
kerrywez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I would say you are right with that assumption and about the heat here. My tunnel will have a door at each end and the top half will be mesh so even with the doors shut there should not be too much heat in it on a normal summer day here. I am hoping to get s bit more done tomorrow again, just dug out some more in the trenches today, but was planting some spuds and the two plumb trees. Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Regards Wez
paul5000
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doors closed in a tunnel on an average summer day can well exceed 45deg C.
even with mesh on top. Keep both doors fully open in summer and when extreme hot days are forecast, a good watering of the tunnel floor can help plants deal with high temp as moisture rising up keeps tender plants cooler.

kerrywez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Paul it is very much appreciated and welcome. I shall remember that.

I got my ring culture pots today so will be having a go with them when I finally get the tunnel up and running. It was very warm today and was very hard going digging the trenches. Some of you may be thinking what is keeping him, but when you get down a bit you hit a layer of what looks like solidified clay,with gravel in it, so it is very hard digging. I have nearly got the two sides done and when I have I will turn my attenuation to the door frames, as I would like to have them in place and the holes well filled, before digging the end trenches. When those are done it will just remain to check the frame for alingment and get the hot spot tape in place and hopefully get the plastic in place, I am still not in any hurry and the forecast is not good for the start of the week, so no need to rush. I got hit in the eye with a chip of one of the rocks when I hit it with the pick axe and it is stinging at the moment, should have been wearing goggles or safety glasses, but it is not that bad.

Regards Wez
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: