Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

collecting your own seed potatoes ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
wireworm
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: you could Reply with quote

try just brushing the dirt off - i use a dry washing up type brush. This leaves some mud on but you can identify a dodgy one.
treascon09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took up all my spuds last saturday and spread them out on floor of shed to dry out. How long does it take for them to get a 'skin' before i can sort and put into storage?? Whats the best thing to do with all the really small ones? keep as seed for next year?
treascon09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took up all my spuds last saturday and spread them out on floor of shed to dry out. How long does it take for them to get a 'skin' before i can sort and put into storage?? Whats the best thing to do with all the really small ones? keep as seed for next year?
kinvarasustainableliving

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should only take a day or two to dry. Egg sized ones can be kept for seed, I usually just put them in a paper bag in the utility room, which is unheated. I keep 10 or so from different varieties, however, year on year they lose vigor, so this year I bought in new seed and was amazed at the size of the crop!!! So you can save your own for 2 or 3 seasons, but after that buy in fresh seed.
tmol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Delighted to find this post, I can't over emphasise how much of a complete beginner I am to planting any veg and am starting my own veg and herb patch this year.

My question was could I use shop bought small potatoes and start to chit them myself at home ?? we love rooster potatoes so it makes sense to try to grow these ourselves...........Think thats what we're going to do, use egg boxes etc etc and put them in the shed for 4-6 weeks. ..........

Can anyone tell me are roosters, early or main variety, I presume there no way of telling on the packet that comes with them, can i presume they are main crop as they were only bought a few weeks ago................ ??
MacFistycuffs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roosters are a main crop and yes you could use the potatoes that you just buy in the shop and they may grow perfectly well. The problem is that they may be carrying a virus which could cause your crop to fail. The reason that people use certified seed potatoes is that they are supposed to be virus free. You will be able to get rooster seed potatoes at most garden centres, they will cost more than the equivalent amount of ordinary shop bought potatoes but when it comes down to it you are probably better off spending a bit extra now to guarantee that you won't be disappointed come harvest time.
windy
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmol wrote:
Hi

Can anyone tell me are roosters, early or main variety, I presume there no way of telling on the packet that comes with them, can i presume they are main crop as they were only bought a few weeks ago................ ??

http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/the-potato/

Hi take a look at this link it may be of some use to you

good luck
tmol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

thanks for all the advice, that site is great for information.

I think I'll use a potatoe bag for my shop bought roosters in case they are bad and at least they will be self contained in there if anything goes wrong and buy some seed potatoes for my veg patch just to see how they both turn out.
I haven't raked any manure into the veg patch yet because its technically not started yet :0 so hopefully we have decent soil under there, will rake in some organic Living Vegetable Compost from B&Q and hopefully this will be OK.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rooster potatoes bought in the supermarket are quite suitable for growing in the garden. Though some of them could possibly be carrying virus this will not wipe out the crop at worst it will reduce yield and maybe size of tuber, ware potatoes are grown under very good management of pests and diseases. Rooster are main crop, so are late maturers but good keepers.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
kinvarasustainableliving

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: grow your own potatoes Reply with quote

I'd agree Micheal. I've saved my own seed time and again, never had virus as such, just loose vigor and crop goes down a bit as years go by. Then I buy in fresh again. I have about 3 types on the go and replace one type a year, or that's the plan, so I don't save any one variety for more than 3 years.
The Irish have a major hang up with spuds-baggage- as they call it. We teach veg growing and the spud night is the most important for people. Irish people want to grow spuds, a veg plot is potatoes to them.
We try to get a few ideas across, first you can buy local, well grown, organic or otherwise potatoes very easily in Ireland. Therefore is it a good idea to devote so much of your veg plot to them, when fresh peas are almost impossible to buy, mangetout come on a plane from Africa and garlic from china, all of which will grow easily in our climate and gardens, and take up a lot less ground than potatoes.
Secondly they're a lot of hard work, visa vi preparing the ground. To attempt self sufficiency for your average family in potatoes you'd want to do at least a quarter of an acre!!!!! Recommend a tractor / horse.....
Thirdly, they do grow fairly easily, chances are they wont get virus at all, but they will get blight, but it won't kill the whole crop if you mange it, and you wont die of hunger if they do get blight!!! So relax !!!! and spray a bit less then you think.
Grow earlies and you don't need to spray at all. Buy your maincrops at a local farmers market.
Your veg plot should be about destressing your life!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: