Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

The Dark Side of No-Till Lasagna Mulch w/ paper & cardbo

Most Recent Posts woodland trust quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mdvaden
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: The Dark Side of No-Till Lasagna Mulch w/ paper & cardbo Reply with quote

Nothing like a brief Grinch-like garden topic once in a while. Although its very true, so that keeps it pretty upbeat and positive.

It's been years since I tried sheet mulching with cardboard, but currently I use plenty of compost. Sometimes cultivating and other times not. So last month a thought comes to mind "what happens when paper is not recycled because of no-till gardening?". My answer resided with info about recycling, not gardening information.

Keep in mind which way this swings depends on whether recycling is available near you. In our area, trucks come to curbside weekly. I don't have a clue about your Ireland cities.

The end result at my end was uploading a page that was more and more surprising as it was written.

In short, putting cardboard or paper under compost means it's not recycled. Gardeners who do that, cause more trees to be cut down for brand new cardboard if wood pulp is the raw material. The water use rises by hundreds and thousands of gallons per pickup load. There is a lot of electricity and oil consumption on top of that.

As I researched this, my suspicions were confirmed, but the numbers were far greater than I had ever expected. Oh - forgot to mention the chemical pollution released too.

Again, it's all a matter of where you live and whether or not your cardboard or paper would provide more benefit for recycling or not. It's not a matter of do or don't. But a matter or reconsideration with more facts at hand.

Yours truly,

The Grinch - LOL

Coast Redwoods

Medford Landscape Design & Trees

Medford & Rogue Valley Photographer
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone put me out of my misery and explain exactly what lol means at the end of a post or am i the only one who doesnt know rgds jimymac
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're being serious or not, but in case you are, actually, in serious misery....here goes:
LOL means laugh out loud....or so I'm told by my online-poker-playing better half !
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened there ?
Those are not the words I wrote.
Not too happy about that.......at all.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you say world of warcraft? or WOW?
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously not...
i imagine you mentioned something which has been the subject of spammers the site admins have had to clean up after.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what chemicals are present in cardboard, anyway? i assume most people would use brown corrugated cardboard for mulching.

in ireland, there's no native recycling facilities for paper, so recycling has to factor the cost of shipping to other countries.
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said nothing contentious or offensive, I merely explained that LOL is used a lot in online chat when people play a certain online card game, just as my better half does. Not sure what sent the censors into overdrive. Presumably a six-letter word which is not only a card game, but an implement used to move coal around in the fireplace.
The world is mad !
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

Sive i was being genuine and you have solved that puzzle for me.As for the spamming talk its over my head also Thanks again
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for that Sive Embarassed , it was what remains of the old over-exuberant word censor software.
When the site was initially set up we had visit from various dodgy individuals selling all kinds of prohibited products, counterfeit watches, fake diplomas etc.
Our user vetting procedure has become much better since as evidenced by the lack of spam posts on the forums.

One of the most common earlier spam post related to an online card game which the old censor thought you were talking about Sive
Sorted now..... apologies for any offence caused

Just to clarify for anyone that needs to know ......spam postings are used to advertise products, businesses, websites, and often to broadcast political or social commentary through the abuse of electronic messaging systems.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Sive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James. You may have gathered I am not very familiar with computers, so it had never occurred to me that spam was a problem on sites such as this. I just associated it with email inboxes!
It wasn't the censorship that bothered me so much as the unpleasant expressions that were substituted. I would have preferred a dose of ******* asterisks ****** !
Anyway, thanks for the explanation, I now understand fully.
LOL !!!!!!
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
I would have preferred a dose of ******* asterisks ****** !

we would have leapt to ALL sorts of lewd assumptions had there been asterisks in your post!
mdvaden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
what chemicals are present in cardboard, anyway? i assume most people would use brown corrugated cardboard for mulching.

in ireland, there's no native recycling facilities for paper, so recycling has to factor the cost of shipping to other countries.

It's not the chemical in cardboard that are a problem. It and newspaper are fairly safe for the soil. The chemical part is from the production, where sulfur dioxide is a waste product from the process.

Any significant increase of pollution from sheet mulching, is not on the garden end, but at the paper production end. And whether or not gardeners increase or reduce the pollution, basically depends on whether or not recycling is available in their area. If its not, then they could be saving energy by sheet mulching to spare more trash being hauled.

China is the largest importer of recycled paper. In doing so, they keep more trees from being cut, and reduce energy use.

Coast Redwoods

Medford Landscape Design & Trees

Medford & Rogue Valley Photographer
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: poking LOL with lotsa cardboard Reply with quote

Morning all who've contributed to what must have been the most hilarious thread so far on "Irish Gardeners". Imagine a bit of cardboard setting off a gorse fire like that? No I'm not being sarcastic. This is the net working at it's etherial best. Thank you, James, for Twittering me. I'da missed it!

There are two ways around the card-name problem. Use the Irish language! The metal device which stirs a fire is a 'bior' [bee-urr] the table game is 'pĆ³car' both words get past any spam checker. Separately, LOL is correctly defined, but if done in lower case as 'lol' it means 'lots of love'. I rarely Laugh-Out-Loud but among my friends I'm huggy. lol!

I'd like if I may to get back to the re-cycling facet of the thread as initiated by M.V. and mulching. I can and do recycle cardboard as the local authority here in Thurrock has a system in place. The sheer amount of cardboard passing through private homes nowadays is amazing. Our local authority doesn't take shredded paper so I use it for compost. How much? Would you believe 2 to 3 cu metres per year? Most comes in through the letter-box or comes home in briefcases. Much of the letterbox thrash is shiny and coloured. Most of the briefcase stuff is A4 but has writing on it best kept away from public gaze.

The remainder would have been the enormous amount of paper generated by utility bills, credit cards and bank accounts now thankfully going [paperless] online. Shredded paper makes an excellent constituent for compost and there is no danger whatever of cyanide poisoning from next year's carrots. Shredded paper mixes well with vegetable waste from the kitchen, garden waste which has been through the garden shredder or the [petrol] mower. Also the local park provides vast quantities of leaves which are an excellent mulch.

For much of my 'mulching' I use [recycle?] carpet underlay. black side up. It lasts for years and there is always a skip somewhere with a new supply. Daffodils find there way through, no problem, but weeds and grass can't cope. In Spring, when the sun comes back, the black surface of the underlay takes in the heat and warms up the soil no end.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: