Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

SLUGSSSSS!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertsboyle wrote:
hi all - interested in the coffee grounds idea and going to give that a try, already have copper tape around but still seem to be getting affected.

has anyone used the nematodes as opposed to pellets, what's the feeling on those?

basically my broccoli was destroyed and the one surviving plant is still having the leaves eaten - would this definitely be slugs (can never find any in there since the tape was put on) or would weevils and their beetle also be responsible here? (have found the grubs is the top soil I got for my raised garden).

I have used nematodes. They do not kill the adult slug but do kill the you ones underground where the pellets can get them.
The last couple of year were so wet it has increased the number of slugs. until 2 years ago the problem in my garden was snails not slugs.

"Common Broccoli Pests
Off all cabbage-family plants, broccoli is the least affected by pests, and fall crops have even fewer problems than spring ones. Possible pests include aphids, cabbage loopers, imported cabbage worms, cabbage maggots, cutworms, and flea beetles.

Other pests inlcude slugs, mites, and harlequin bugs. Slugs chew holes in plant leaves. Mites are tiny red or black pests; their feeding causes yellow stippling on the leaves. Knock them off the plant with a strong blast of water, or spray with insecticidal soap. Control harlequin bugs, black insects with red markings, by handpicking or applying soap spray.

Diseases are seldom a problem. Black leg produces dark spots on leaves and stems. Symptoms of black rot include yellowing leaves and dark, foul smelling veins. Prevent these diseases with good cultivation and crop rotation. In case of club root, which shows up as week, yellowed plants with deformed roots, boost the pH to 7.0 with lime.

Leaf spot shows up as enlarging, water-soaked spots that turn brown or purplish gray. Fusarium wilt, also known as yellows, causes lower leaves to turn yellow and drop off and makes broccoli heads stunted and bitter. Destroy plants afflicted with leaf spot or Fursarium wilt to prevent these diseases from spreading."
http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-2-9-1463,00.html
robertsboyle
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Belfast - sounds like a mixture of organic pellets and nematodes might be the way to eliminate as much as possible will look into getting some.
Daithic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of comments on the Beer trap method. I bought a few in the €2 shop (2 per pack), nice little ones with the lid on so keep an eye out for them in that shop if there's one close by you. I had also a few out of date cans of Bulmers and thought, what they heck, and it worked a treat. Lastly, recharge these things regularly, if you leave them more than two or three days with the beer in they attract a lot of blackfly.
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liparis wrote:
I have toads which over winter in my greenhouses due to the very high humidity and are active right through, so I worry about them gobbling up slugs that have had a doze of pellets.
Bill.

Liparis, where did you get the toads? As far as I'm aware, there are no toads in Co Meath. Down here in Kerry, there are Natterjack toads, but they wouldn't live in a greenhouse. I'd like to get hold of some common toads, but I thought there were none in Ireland. Question
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just appeared. I usually don't see them until I go into the greenhouse at dark to catch slugs on the plants. There's two or three. When I go in with my head torch they vanish into the ferns growing under the staging.
Having said that, I recently read up on toads in Ireland and as you say, there are no common toads in Ireland, so perhaps my eyesight is deceiving me! They are either extremely large frogs due to good eating, or they are natterjacks, but I don't think so.
Perhaps, because I'm so used to in the past having toads in my greenhouse I just made the assumption they were toads.
I will try and get hold of one and check it out. I have no garden pond at the moment so that's not where they come from, but about 700 mtrs down the road is a very small lough, I assume they came from there.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Stello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read that slugs don't like sage, so I'm thinking of maybe trying to grow a "sage hedge", next year.. I really don't like using the pellets, and I could never do the beer trap thing as I'd rather drink the beer myself Laughing
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard of the copper wire or copper pipe as a deterrent for slugs so I tried them out. damage was worse where i put them. As they demolished my purple sprouting broccoli i went for the slug pellets and this morning I counted eight of the biggest slugs i ever saw. half to three quarters of an inch in diameter and 2-3 inches long. I was reluctant to use any pellets(draza) but this was the test.
michael brenock horticultural advisor(retired)
robertsboyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i have tried copper wire, useless, the beer trap great but must be overrun with slugs as there are still more (getting a good few wasps in there too serves them right), coffee granules not a great success, sprayed wd40 around the raised plot last night will see if that works, but not conviced. The wee buggers have eaten all my seedlings except the parsnips which are nearly ready for picking...

so.my question, if anyone can answer..where can i buy online the neomotodes and bird/cat/child friendly slug pellets? I am fed up and although this was only a test year for the patch, come next year i want to have the wee buggers eliminated from my patch!
therickmoister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nematodes online from Mr. Middleton and I think they have the slug pellets you want as well. The nematodes only kill young slugs which are underground is my understanding which is open to correction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: