Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc.

Can I get battery hens to rehome

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Fountain
Last post: vulkan
The spout!!!
Last post: ponddigger
stream and pond on a sloped site
Last post: ponddigger
Colocasia Alocasia
Last post: vincent71

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
anchoress
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask at an animal refuge; they will give the places where the hens are and they will tell you when the next batch will be out.

There are battery untits in many counties.

Leaving all other considerations apart? It is a lovely and compassionate thing to do and need not stop you campaigning.

We work with the homeless, animals as well as people; what matters is now and here. Of course we campaign as well, but hunger and need are just that.

Getting things changed is a legal and political issue; and many cannot afford higher prices for food.

It is a delight to watch these birds rdiscover their long-suppressed urges to scratch and peck, and we certainly never had any aggression etc.
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liparis wrote:
. I, by the way, would make those intrussions into our private lives, illegal and jail supermaket managers for using them.
Bill.

I'm with you Bill, You may be interested in this. http://www.tescopoly.org/
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's an opt-in scheme - they can't track your purchases unless you facilitate it yourself. there are bigger issues with tesco than that...
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medieval knievel wrote:
it's an opt-in scheme - they can't track your purchases unless you facilitate it yourself. there are bigger issues with tesco than that...

Your right. I just can't, for the life of me find any advertising warning that you are divulging such information to them. They play on loyalty awards. At least they should be forced to advise someone asking for a loyalty card, what it's other and main purpose is.
Also, I agree, there are bigger issues than that, but while people think they are shopping cheaply and getting something for nothing, they are too slow in acting. If they knew what loyalty cards are really used for, then perhaps the war will start for real. 'I can't see what suffering all this "cheap" food is causing, I need to feed my family, so it's nothing to do with me'. Maybe, but unlikely, what happened to veg producers in Ireland will make them sit up and notice. Government is as much to blame for it all, they shouldn't be giving them planning permission, for Gods sake, some people in Ireland can't get planning permission to build a home for their family!
Anyway, I'm preaching to the converted, but with home-growing on the increase, perhaps an awful lot of people will see a difference in what they eat, that is probably the best means of combating this appaling behaviour. It's no good really, talking and debating the €30 per month salary they pay in the third World countries and how they can't pay for school fees and uniforms, it's all relative, people employed by them in Ireland can't afford school fees and uniforms. You would actually ruin a countries economy if you were to open business, say in India, and pay the workers €300 per week. They would become the wealthiest people in the country!
Anyway, we are probably verging on a political debate and I'm going to get my ar*e spanked by the mods Laughing
By the way, Garlicbreath, that is a very interesting link.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Cityblowin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just on the topic of keeping hens - would my neighbours kill me if I had some in my back garden. I live in a built up area.

I mean are they noisey, I assume if you have no male (mods might think I am talking about something totally different if I use the correct term) what kind of racket are we talking about. I would of course only keep a few.

Would ducks be better noise wise?
Liparis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it depends on your neighbours. Some people, especially those with kids, might find it fun and very educational, The older generation may, with some exceptions, accept it as a means of you providing cheaper, healthier food for your family, while others may complain that they are encouraginging rats. Usually these "rats" appear within 24 hrs of the chickens arriving and depart within 12 hrs of the chickens being got rid of Laughing Laughing (that's sarcasm by the way Very Happy ). As for noise and cleanliness, they will only be as dirty as you allow them to become. clean up uneaten food daily and greatly reduce any risk of vermin. Noise would mainly be if you have a rooster, then you will get legitimate complaints. They don't just crow at sunrise, they can, especially in the lighter summer months, crow all night long and all day long.
My plan would be, assuming there are no by-laws regarding it, work out how many chickens you want to provide your own daily needs and get an extra one. With the extra hen you can give one neighbour a half dozen eggs one week, the other neighbour a half dozen the following week etc etc, you will get fewer complaints that way. Before you know it, they will be asking you to help them get a couple of hens for themselves when they realise how much more tasty your eggs are and how cheap they are compared to what they buy. Usually, problems with neighbours start in two ways; a person just goes ahead and does something with absolutely no consideration for their neighbours or you are just unlucky enough to have an obnoxious neighbour who will be awkward regardless of how you address things.
Talk to your neighbours, let them know what you want to do, tell them they are welcome to a few eggs etc and assure them that you won't let the place become an eye-sore or nuisance to them. Any hint of vermin, then deal with it immediately, don't wait a few days before you do anything about it, if they see a rat, get it caught, let them know and be secure in their own knowledge that you have definately dealt with it.
Bill.

Cityblowin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True true Liparis, I have tried fresh eggs from a home pen and the difference is huge. When you put the eggs on the pan it is most obvious.

However we have new neighbours next door and they have two very young infants - I would be concerned if any rats did start to wander around. I wonder if it would become more of a worry and take the enjoyment out of it.

Thanks for the info, looks like I will have to get myself a house out in the country with plenty of space for ducks and chickens. (One can dream)
Liparis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a high probability you already have rats. You just don't see them, but keeping hens means you will see the tell-tale signs. I've seen rats crossing busy streets in Navan in late evenings.
Urban hen-keeping is growing pretty huge these days, no one seems to be any more bothered by rats than previously. Perhaps it's time Government spent some of our hard-earned tax on vermin control like most of the EU does. You see a rat, have a problem with wasps, become infested by roaches and they send in vermin controllers to deal with it.
Rats are almost reaching plague proportions in Ireland because it's not controlled. People keeping hens become the target for causing it because they are an easy target. The rats are already there. I even heard one person complain "we've got rats in our garden and shed because those kids next door have rabbits". What a load of tosh. I put up a 25' shed, within a week, I swear to God, rats had eaten through the floor to get into the shed. I had to deal with them then repair the floor. I didn't even have anything in the shed! I've methodically dealt with the rats over the last few years and I seldom have any problems anymore.
Keep your hens, deal with the rats and your more likely to have less rats than you did before. I bet the kids next door will love them. Keep set traps where your hens won't get caught up in them and check them every day.
Bill.

sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found ex battery hens in cork,i have ordered 3 ,they will be ready for collection in about 5 weeks,the lady that rescues them needs numbers in advance,.if anyone wanted to get some,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: