Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Plum tree leaf problem, Victoria and an Opal

Most Recent Posts How to store seeds??
Last post: tagwex
Creating dwarf wall in existing greenhouse
Last post: Blowin
Buxus seems to be Dying
Last post: summer
white powder on magnolia leaves
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kali291
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Plum tree leaf problem, Victoria and an Opal Reply with quote

Hi all
Can anyone throw any light on what has happened to my plum trees please? Earlier this year I planted two trees, a Victoria and an Opal. Recently, they appear to be dying. I have attached a picture of the leaves. They were planted at the edge of a lawn, and until two weeks ago were fine. I can find no evidence of any pests, but the lawn is fairly waterlogged after the recent heavy rains.
I would hate to lose them, so can anyone suggest what the problem might be, or how I could solve it.
Many thanks
Ron
verge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Plum tree leaf problem, Victoria and an Opal Reply with quote

Hello kali29.
With all the rain we have experienced It looks like a fungal leaf spot to me. It will not kill the tree and possibly will not reoccur next deason If you enforce strict garden hygiene around your plum trees and we get a dryer summer next year . You should rake out and remove any dead leaves at the base of the tree now and as they fall in autumn, destroy these at a safe distance away by burning.
Also, remove any dead or badly damaged leaves on the trees and destroy these as well. Fungal spores may exist on these dead / damaged leaves and spread the disease through wind and rain dispersal.

A plum tree under stress will suffer more from the effects of fungal leaf spot.
De-stress your plants by keeping them well watered in dry spells and keeping them fed throughout the growing season.
Apply a mulch of well rotted compost to root zone of the tree each March.

If the ground around the trees suffered from waterlogging, I suggest you follow these tips on tree care after water logging

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
kali291

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Verge
Thanks for the advice. I will follow it and hopefully not lose the trees. There is not much in the way of dead leaves around the tree due to the high winds we've been getting, but the ground is waterlogged. Our soil is very heavy clay, which obviously doesn't help Smile We also have a 3 or 4 year old maple about 30 ft away in the same soil, but this seems unaffected Surprised
Thanks again - ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: