Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Levelling a lawn that is already laid...

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bigdawg
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Levelling a lawn that is already laid... Reply with quote

Hi there

Found this site today and am glad that I did. Its full of interesting stuff.

I surfed this section of forum but didnt find an answer to the following question:

I have a 1 year old back lawn. I had to drain the garden and brough in quite a lot of topsoil afterwards. However, as it was late last year when i finished it all (around Oct) I didnt have the weather i needed to get a nice even finish on the soil. The grass is now growing away but i have lots of minor bumps in the lawn(though the overall slope of the lawn from back to front looks fine).

This spring and summer I have been filling in spots with compost in bare patches and i have an even grass coverage now but is there any way to eliminate these underfoot undulations in the topography? Im not sure rolling it would make any diffference (especially in summer) and i have seen lots of people advise against it.

what should i do? Confused

thanks/Hugh in Kerry.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it was not a bigdawg that made all the bumps in your lawn. Razz

But seriously I would also say that a heavy roller is not the solution. Because while rolling may remove some bumps, it also damages the grass by compacting the soil.

You can fill in low spots a bit with with about 0.5cm layer of clean stone free topsoil. Work the soil lightly into the holes to avoid smothering the grass. Or you could lift the low grass sod with a spade, backfill beneath with topsoil, then replace the sod with a light tap.
Do the reverse for high spots, as you can lift the soil with a spade and clear out some soil beneath. Settle the grass back into place, then judge do you need to remove more. Just remember to leave enough good topsoil to allow the grass to continue to grow well.
bigdawg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, filling in seems to be the route forward. its coming along already and isnt as bumby as it was a few months back. so i will keep at it.

i do have a dog but he's only a small fella. he helps to fertilise the lawn Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: