Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Hi to all from a complete novice..Leylandi for privacy

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
earnie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Hi to all from a complete novice..Leylandi for privacy Reply with quote

Hi there, can I just start by saying I have looked at this website so much lately and am well impressed with you all.....we should be moving into our newly built home in October ( fingers crossed!!).. It is on nearly two acres but we will try and only develop half of it to begin with (maybe put a donkey and goat on the other half??).
I understand that we need to live on the site for a while to get a feel for the place and where plants, shrubs, washing line etc should go. My question is about planting trees and hedges. We will have a rather large house being built in a neighbouring field and would like to create a bit of privacy, when is it advisable to plant?? Is Leylandi the fastest growing option?????

Thanks
GarethAustin
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hi to all from a complete novice.. Leylandi for privacy Reply with quote

earnie wrote:
My question is about planting trees and hedges. We will have a rather large house being built in a neighbouring field and would like to create a bit of privacy, when is it advisable to plant?? Is Leylandi the fastest growing option?????

Thanks

Leylandii is very quick growing but that will translate to high maintenance unless you wish to let it just grow and grow and grow.
Leylandii also does not like locations with cold drying or seaside wind.
If you haven't done so already, have a look at this sticky topic on hedging size, fruit, flower and use etc.
Click here .... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204
This will give you a good feel for the hedging and screening options available.
Or you could possibly consider using a staggered belt of native trees for your screening, have a look at the list of native trees listed in the tree section of this site.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
earnie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: native trees Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I was in my local nursery yesterday and got great advice on both trees & hedges. I was advised to get a lot of bare root stock in October/November time - cheaper to buy then and the guy will even come over to my site to offer some free advice.
GarethAustin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do don't get bare-root Leylandii, you should only buy potted leylandii!!. Youre better off with a nice Escallonia hedge which will be easier to maintain and will give you lots of good summer flowers.

Think about incorporating a few trees in your hedge line to add some instant windbreak effect, and for more privacy.
Billyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Leylands. Reply with quote

Please do not plant them anywhere.
30 years ago I planyed tham on 3 sides of my site-green-golden and varigated.
It has cost a fortune to have them all cut down and taken away.
Look at native type trees.
Birch-Ash-the list is endless.
Regards,
Billyo
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instant solution is not always the best. Leylandii are a long term nightmare, unless tightly controlled (do you want that level of after-care?) If your neighbouring house is to the south of you, you will effectively lose your sun, if to the north, you are casting your neighbours into shade...not a kind thing to do to anyone and a possible source of tension. Do you want to look at a wall of unchanging evergreens for 12 months of the year? A mixed native hedge with birch, ash, oak trees in it will give you your privacy, encourage wildlife into your garden and feed your spirit in a way no leylandii hedge ever will. And no, it won't be "instant", but nothing good ever is (!) and it will distract the eye and ultimately give you that privacy faster than you think. Good luck and enjoy creating your own little paradise.
kathyneem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved into my house two years ago. It is an old semi detached miners cottage.
The neighbors have Leylandii planted all around their garden the result is that the
afternoon sun is blocked from my garden. We have cut them back to prevent them
taking over a huge chunk of the side of our garden, but they are about 20ft high at
this stage and proving to be a lot of work for us. We have already tried to speak to
the people about a low chimney they have, which billows smoke into our garden
and around the back of the house, to no avail. Is there anything we can do other
than making a formal complaint about this issue?

Thanks
bam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathyneem wrote:
I moved into my house two years ago. It is an old semi detached miners cottage.
The neighbors have Leylandii planted all around their garden the result is that the
afternoon sun is blocked from my garden. We have cut them back to prevent them
taking over a huge chunk of the side of our garden, but they are about 20ft high at
this stage and proving to be a lot of work for us. We have already tried to speak to
the people about a low chimney they have, which billows smoke into our garden
and around the back of the house, to no avail. Is there anything we can do other
than making a formal complaint about this issue?

Thanks

Not that I'd suggest it...
I know of a similar issue... person drilled a small hole in each trunk and administered a small ammount of diesel. Trees mysterously died and owner removed at his oen cost..
Issue resolved..
verge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bam wrote:

Not that I'd suggest it...
I know of a similar issue... person drilled a small hole in each trunk and administered a small ammount of diesel. Trees mysterously died and owner removed at his oen cost..
Issue resolved..

Worked on that occassion I suppose, but not to be recommended because If the neighbours tree dies just even as a result of your poor trimming not drilling, your neighbour may have the right to damages from you.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: