Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

STEPS TO START A NEW GARDEN

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Happy Christmas
Last post: Margo
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Last post: Sue Deacon
Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How steep is the bank easyram, and how big is the area?
There's branded product called Mypex..they say this about themselves...
:

"Mypex - Brand name - a long lasting, U.V. stabilized, extremely tough woven geomembrane fabric which allows moisture to pass through up to 6 litres per sq. metre per second, but with less than 1% light transmission it resists weed growth. Widely used in the horticultural trade in glasshouses as a plant through mulching film, for standing out areas and also suitable for landscaping. As a base for ornamental areas and paths being covered by bark chips, pebbles, gravel etc. Reduces the need to use chemical weedkillers. Lower moisture evaporation from soil in long dry spells. Slight increase in soil temperature - promoting plant growth. "

There are other things you could use. If the ground is very steep you might want to put down some form of wire. Chicken wire laid and fixed in place horizontally or even something thicker... Once the plants get established the roots should hold the bank in place saving you a landslide in wet weather...

Send in some pics if you have any ....

MYPEX.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.05 KB
 Viewed:  13686 Time(s)

MYPEX.jpg

easyram
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite big and steep indeed but there's no need for a retention wall I think. The area below is very wet.
I was thinking about something more like the chicken wire you mentioned as I hate the look of bare geomembrane (on a slope steep like mine you can't really use any bark or stones on top of the membrane) and then covering it with bark for example.
Also I plan to plant the slope with red and yellow dog wood, Cotoneaster, Berberis, Lonicera (I know they're all a bit overused but I like those plants). There's definitely enough space for all those plants (couple of each) and more... Unless you have any other suggestions regarding plants? It's east facing slope with mature trees near the face giving a lot of shadow.
Anyway, my biggest problem is membrane/mesh or something that would look nice and stop the erosion for now. Would a chicken mesh and bark be enough to stop weeds?
Thank you!
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bark would have to be laid quite thickly to be any use...weeds can come through a few inches...This might be a bother as with this thickness it might all end up at the bottom of the slope, worth a try until the plants mature.......Getting it planted up is the answer...

The plants you mentioned are perfect for semi/hardwood cuttings. If you get pencil thickness cuttings about 10 inches long and push them into the ground they will root easily...This will keep the costs down and the cover up Smile

Like you say the shrubs are popular, but for good reason. One of my most memorable outings when I was at college was a trip to the local Tesco supermarket car park (I didn't get out much:) We looked at the types of plants landscapers used to cover up slopes and rough areas.... Now there's a day out for you...!

easyram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the tips Smile I will definitely use them.
I understand there's not much I can do about the slope? Maybe just use the chicken wire, thick layer of bark and lots of good plants?
Now I'm thinking about any supermarkets with slopes in Limerick Wink
OscarKane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for posting these articles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: