Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Pyracantha Hedge to stop kids using my garden as a shortcut.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Tobar
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Pyracantha Hedge to stop kids using my garden as a shortcut. Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a newly built house on a large corner site in a Dublin suburb, and am having awful problems with kids using my garden as a shortcut, or a general area for acting the maggot.

I got a little railing made & installed on top of the wall, but this has made little difference, as they can still jump over it (due to a 'step' on the inside of the garden, which is part of the foundation of the wall).

I purchased some Pyracantha recently to attempt to grow a Hedge all the way around the garden as a pictureque barrier (& to cover up the 'step'). I am gradually planting them around the garden at approx 1 metre apart, and although they do seem to have taken well, they look like they'll take forever to grow together & form the hedge that we so desperately require.

Can someone tell me if I should have planted them closer together? and if so, should I now plant more between the existing ones to speed up the process of a hedge forming?

Last but not least, I realise that maintenance will be a factor in keeping this new Hedge nice, but am I biting off more than I can chew with this?
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: shortcut Reply with quote

Hi

I sympathise with your plight. I lived in a block of flats where peolpe used the corner garden as a shortcut. I planted all sorts but thed didn't grow fast enough and as they grew, gaps were formed where access could be gained anyway. I even resorted (embarrisingly)to setting traps that looked like work in progress, strings and posts etc. I even tried planting japanese knotweed, but that died! (there's a first for everything) I was so desperate that I eventually put a path in and it was then used as a regular walkthrough, so at least the area wasn't being walked on all over.

On a more positive note I have managed to stop other people from taking shortcuts in other gardens. The dog rose is a very fast grower that stops people in their tracks in the growing months. If you are needing the pyracantha to be an effective barrier you might need to interplant with others and even put them in double rows. The key thing is to try to make sure they grow to give a full cover. This could be done by putting up a temporary barrier to let them establish. It's a bit difficult without seeing your garden (any pics) so I could recommend something?

Cheers

Ian

You might need something a bit more substantial !

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Pyracantha Hedge to stop kids using my garden as a shortcut. Reply with quote

Yes, I believe the right idea would be to interplant your existing Pyracantha, as it is planted much too far apart to solve your "problem" even within the next few years.
Interplant with further pyracanta or possibly blackthorn or wild rose as inishindie suggested.
Have a look at your thorny hedging choices here... http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204
Plant two rows back to back, with a low sheep or chicken wire fence tacked to short stakes in between to act as a "support" for the new plants.
The "support" will become a low but instant barrier that must be stepped over, hopefully preventing the trampling of your young hedge.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
GarethAustin
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPI is right.

Plant your pyracanthea at least 4/m in a double staggered row. cut back hard when first planted to encourage them to side shoot - if you leave them they will get very tall and gangly.

Feed well in Spring and summer to promote more growth.
Tobar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Guys, thank you very much for the great advice & guidance, I'll let you know how I get on!
Tobar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I've noticed just the other day that the Pyracantha on the west-facing part of the garden have really taken off since last July when I planted them first, but the ones on the south & east facing walls have barely grown at all.

Those on the south & east facing walls have their direct sunlight blocked by the actual house itself, so the west facing wall gets the sun in the evening.

Is it just a case that the ones on the walls with a lot less sunlight will grow, but need a lot more time because of the reduced direct sunlight?

I was hoping that this would take off fairly quickly in an attempt to keep those pesky kids out!

Any info/advice would be most appreciated ......
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slower growth could be from any number of factors. But if you rule out different soil quality, different water accessabilty, different wind tunnelling, different plant stock etc. then I would presume the lack of sunlight is the reason for the slowdown. Just be sure the weaker plants receive enough water, feed and other care as I would hate to see them fall back further in the race. Wink

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
Tobar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best Plant Food to help Pyracantha get established & grow well at this time of year & going forward?
BlackBird

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general purpose slow realease shrub fertiliser such as pelleted chicken manure. Do a PH test on the soil in the area where the south & east facing walls are. Your Pyracantha likes a slightly acidic soil and can tent to grow slowly in strongly alkaline soil. You can see a test here http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=825
Shegull

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there from a newbie,

I had a fantastic Pyracantha but on revamping my garden thought it would be better on a south facing wall. Moved it a year ago and everything was fine - the leaves did die off but there was plenty of new shoots which were still there up until about a month ago. Now everything seems to have died off. Is this the end of my Pyracantha or if I leave well enough alone is it likely to take off again. Would a hard pruning help any. I have cut off all the dead branches but not sure if I am fighting a losing battle.

Sad Sad Sad
Tobar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobar wrote:
Guys,

I was hoping that this would take off fairly quickly in an attempt to keep those pesky kids out! ......

Would anybody have any advice of how to protect the small pyracantha hedging plants in the corner of my garden from being trampled by kids climbing over my garden wall? (without drawing attention to the fact that I am trying to keep the kids out!)

Anytime there's a bit of growth, I get excited to see it, but then I discover that the neighbourhood kids had been playing in the garden, and squashed the new branches, which subsequently die.

The situation is now such that the hedging is growing nicely all around the inside wall of the perimeter of the front garden, except for the very corner.

Any advice very welcome Smile
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobar,just looked at your post,what happened to your hedging in the end?
davidnugent
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep kids out i suggest a large yucca, Yuccas have large spickes at the end of there stricking sword shaped leaves,nobody will mess with them,Or a large agave, if you have a sunny spot.Just as dangerous. Twisted Evil
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: which is chalk which is cheese which is yucca cordyline Reply with quote

What is the difference between yucca and cordyline. The only bit of info I've come across is that yucca leaves will cut you and cordyline leaves will not. I've one or t'other here and it has seeded some young ones in entirely different parts of the garden. BTW, it has flowered three years in a row. I thought these things only flowered evey seven years. Is this an old wives tale? I also heard you can cut a mature one down to say six foot and it will sprout piles next year. Any yucca cordyline people out there want to help?
sal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to stop my dogs squeezing through our hedging,tried slectric fence,they yelped and run through!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: