Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Alpines and rockery perennial plants ... Your rockery in Ireland.

Propagating alpine plants

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex
Garden Makeover- absolute beginner
Last post: Sue Deacon
ID for tree?
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this plant guys
Last post: lammax

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Propagating alpine plants Reply with quote

ALPINE SEEDS
If you are feeling adventurous then try collecting seeds from alpines to grow in your own garden. Some of the seeds need nature to take care of them so put them in a pot, label them and put them in a sheltered spot away from slugs. Some might germinate quickly but others need a frosting before they appear. Alpine plants are one of the easiest plants to grow from cuttings. If you see any plants you like the look of then cut off a couple of small pieces of stem with a node on it and push it into compost. Be careful if you try this in garden centres or parks as you could get arrested for stealing. Stick to friends' gardens!

GarethAustin
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't believe how many people we stop from taking cuttings from plants in the garden centre!
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: sedums are easy to grow Reply with quote

Which are the alpines which grown wild in Ireland? I have sedums but they are from a nursery. Is heather considered alpine? Do I take the whole plant or does it grow quickly from seed? Can you tell me which plants are 10 on a scale of easy just as sedum is a 10 for no fail will grow anywhere. Thanks.

Last edited by ormondsview on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ormondsview

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: pasque flower Reply with quote

Just came across a great site for viewing gardens in photo format called jalbum. If you go there, type gardens and you'll see plenty of great alpine gardens.www.jalbum.com
Here's a plant that I did have but disappeared so I will try again from seed, called the pasque flower. Does anyone have them and how do you get them to renew? I think the foliage maybe dies back after flowering and I probably inadvertently plowed over it or the periwinkle smothered it.

pasque.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.37 KB
 Viewed:  10022 Time(s)

pasque.jpg

robineire
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Making a rockery from a demolished wall Reply with quote

I had a Cypress fall during the storms and it demolished a wall in the process, rather than rebuild the wall I am thinking of making a rockery with the stones. With the tree down there is a lot more light and some of the stones are too heavy for me to rebuild with, I have a rockery in another part of the garden with Alyssum, Dianthus 'Evening Star' and another that sounded like Obrichia but I cannot find that name when I Google it.

Anyway I presume this time of year would be a good time to split some of the existing plants and relocate them? I was just aiming to fill gaps with potting mix and transplant them, is there anything I should be aware of?
ormondsview

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: clearing the rockery Reply with quote

Sedum is great to put into an old rockery wall which I have in the back. It can just be plugged in can grow on a vertical. Foilage is interesting in itself but the flowers no big attraction so am putting in some morning glory seeds to drape and wind about. Rambling roses are appear in the roadside hedges and they're great for snipping and planting for the roaming look.

Progress is slow in my hillside reclamation project. My hands are deteriorating faster than the square footage of new rock or growing space. The peat is tough to break up what with the mature gorse roots and matted grass. The best tool is a pick axe but I'm only good for a few swipes before it's too hard to continue. Instead, a stainless steel foot long knife I bought at a charity has been the easiest to use alongside a radio playing the talk show to keep company.
Alpines at Lidl are a good price at 4 euro for 4. They need a drier soil and will rot in the boggy patches so a sand and stone addition will have to be amended. Aubrietta seeds Bells of Ireland sprinkled to see what takes.
Roses were great value at Lidl for 2.99. I was told that some were excellent named varieties that would cost 14 euro elsewhere.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that is Aubretia robineire.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Good guy
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pasque flower is growing in the middle distance of the pic, about a foot high.
I had some, once, and it was lovey, with really good seed heads. It lasted a few seasons and disappeared. I should probably have divided it.
robineire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

Thanks tagwex my plant identification talents are zero Smile anyway I read through the rockery section on here and wont make the mistake of using too rich soil on my rockery and keeping the stones running the same way makes a lot of sense too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Alpines and rockery perennial plants ... Your rockery in Ireland. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: