Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Herb growing in Ireland

SOAP MAKING WITH FRESH HERBS

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: SOAP MAKING WITH FRESH HERBS Reply with quote

Hi.

Here is an idea for making soap from your garden herbs.

Handcrafted herbal soaps help cleanse the body, while invigorating your senses. Herbal soaps whether homemade or bought, provide increased cleansing power, soothe and help protect the skin. Commercially made soaps usually contain animal products such as tallow or lard, as well as many undesirable chemicals and synthetics. These can play havoc with your skin, exacerbating existing conditions and causing others such as clogged pores, dry skin, rashes and more. In most cases, the glycerine has also been removed. Your skin readily absorbs what is put on it, good or bad. It is one of the quickest ways for chemicals - or nutrients- to enter your body. Be mindful of what you put on your skin, the largest organ of your body. Here are the ingredients used for a basic soap mix - caustic soda, water, coconut oil, vegetable shortening and olive oil. Be careful though as the caustic soda will burn the skin on contact. The chemical reaction with the oils should neutralise this.

UNSCENTED CALENDULA BABY SOAP
Steep dried or semi-dried calendula flower in olive oil in a jar, sealed, for two to three weeks, then strain oil. A faster method is to steep dried calendula flowers in water and use strained infusion in place of all or part of the water called for in the recipe (Or combine both methods). Add this to the basic soap mix for a very mild baby soap.

COMFREY AND ALOE VERA SOAP
The comfrey root gives the soap a special healing, soothing quality as well as a beautiful dark violet colour. Collect and dry enough comfrey root to produce 110g ounces of powder (about a 1 foot root). Roots must be thoroughly dry before you pulverize them in a blender. This needs to be added to the basic soap mix along with lavender oil, rosemary oil and aloe vera extract.

LEMON VERBENA SOAP
Add a small amount of lemongrass oil to lemon vinegar oil to fix scent. Mix with the basic soap mixture along with lemon verbena oil and tumeric for colour (optional).

Happy washing!

Ian

Rebecca
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my own soap with lye, and compared to commercial soaps its the most gentle moisturising soap I've ever used! My kids have sensitive skin and anything from the shop flares it up.

I use organic ingredients and herbs from my garden, including leaf, petals and seeds. Grated rinds of organic citrus fruits give wonderful texture, or experiment by adding coffee grinds to exfoliate, or even fresh veg from your polytunnel including chopped cucumber or strawberry.

GardenMad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca wrote:
experiment by adding coffee grinds to exfoliate, or even fresh veg from your polytunnel including chopped cucumber or strawberry.

I think I prefer the sound of coffee soap to herbs, I love the smell of coffee!
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Rose Reply with quote

Hi

We are using rose soap at the moment and it has whole dried petals ingrained in the bar. It's a bit of a shock when one disintegrates, I keep thinking that the petals are earwigs....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Herb growing in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: