Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Sea-buckthorn Hippophae rhamnoides

Most Recent Posts Lupins
Last post: Margo
Himalayan - Betula utilis jacquemontii Tree in Urban Garden
Last post: DaveOShea
Sea-buckthorn Hippophae rhamnoides
Last post: spiracles
Ponddigger breaks the rules and LIES
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
spiracles
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Sea-buckthorn Hippophae rhamnoides Reply with quote

I was interested in planting some Sea-buckthorn hedges for birds, but an Irish Times letter led me to learn that according to European Communities (Birds and Natural Habitats) Regulations 2011, Sea-buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) is listed as one of the plants that are illegal to sell or plant in Ireland.

But a quick google shows that this plant is on sale on many Irish nursery websites.

I had bought a couple before I realised this but haven't planted them yet. Should I destroy them?
Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not illegal. Sea-buckthorn should not to be confused with Buckthorn and Alder Buckthorn. it is frequently planted to help soil conservation and stabilisation of coastal lands.

'The Sea-buckthorn has been planted in many places its creeping roots serve as a binder of the sandy soils along costal areas its roots keep the soil from eroding. roots an extend from the parent plant for many meters

It is on the list of Medium Impact Invasive Species.
spiracles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
Sea-buckthorn should not to be confused with Buckthorn and Alder Buckthorn

I wasn't, I specified Hippophae rhamnoides. I was wrong in thinking they were illegal to sell, but I destroyed them after consulting with NPWS:

Quote:
I refer to your email regarding the purchase of Sea Buckthorn plants. This plant is a listed invasive alien species of concern under The European Communities (Birds and Natural Habitats Regulations 2011 (S. I. No. 477 of 2011)

National legislation to restrict the trade in invasive species of national concern is in the pipeline, so at the moment while there is no ban on sale of Sea Buckthorn, it is prohibited to plant them under Regulation 49 of the Legislation ‘Prohibition on introduction and dispersal of certain species’, and suppliers should know this and not have this species on sale. When we become aware of a situation such as this we ask suppliers to comply with other aspects of the Regulation, i.e. not causing it to spread etc. We would appreciate if you can advise on which website you found them on sale on and we can advise them (and other suppliers) of their responsibilities. Your details will not be made known to the supplier.

As regards destroying them, this is probably the best course of action and should be done in a manner that won’t cause the plant to spread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: