Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Small lawn advice please

Most Recent Posts Whats wrong with my apple tree
Last post: Sunflower
Storm approaching
Last post: Keeks
Curator wanted.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
oceanclub
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Small lawn advice please Reply with quote

Got a small (15 sq meters) piece of lawn installed as sods a few years ago at the rear of our house, south east facing. Gets a good bit of sun during the day. Currently not looking great as you can see.

Earlier this year I tried putting down Miracle Gro Evergreen and also seeds (Goulding Luxury Lawn Seed), not realising the weed control aspect of the Miracle Gro would prevent the seeds sprouting.

Gave it a month and then tried the seeds on their own mixed with some potting compost and using Miracle Gro Lawn Food. Still nothing happening (and seems to have gotten worse).

Should I just completely dig up those patches and replace with another soil (anf if so what?).

Any tips appreciated!

P.
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I'm not expert enough to diagnose what the problem might be but we needed to give our lawn a bit of a boost and this worked for us.

From the local farm co-op I had a bag of 8:5:18 fertiliser, it having been recommended by the local postman for general veg use. I put some in a plastic container, (large bottle), filled it up with water, shook it up vigorously, poured the liquid into a watering can, and watered the dodgy area with it. Can't do any harm unless you're a devoted organic disciple.

Greengage
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see pictures, but depends on what you want to achieve, if you want a lawn with a good sward of grass or your trying for something in the biodiversity line which is the in thing at the moment.
So lets assume you want a lawn with a good sward.
1. Scarify the area this will remove thatch and break some compaction in the top of the soil.
2. Onto this scatter lawn seed buy a general purpose mix as it will strike easier rather than something fancy.
3.Now it will need moisture for the seed to germinate, (Lots of moisture to keep it going when it does germinate. So maybe wait until September/October to do this.
4. Keep birds off mainly Pigeons ok you might not see them but they get up early.
5. When it germinates you will possible get some weed seed growing but don't worry.
6. When you cut it first cut it high this removes the longer grass leaves but stimulates the grass to thicken as it grows from very low down.
7.Any heavy scutch remove by hand.
8. Don't feed until late spring next year.
9. Don't use a selective weed killer until it is established.
10. if you want a bit of colour mix in some white clover this will fix nitrogen to the soil and some selfheal or Birdsfoot trefoil but remember these plants will take over in time and clover can be hard on the lawnmower when wet, but its your lawn so your choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: