Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

putting a lawn down where a cabin was

Most Recent Posts aquascape ponds
Last post: ponddigger
Ponddigger breaks the rules (again)
Last post: vulkan
Planning the garden jobs month by month - NOVEMBER
Last post: Greengage
Time to go?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
bungaro
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: putting a lawn down where a cabin was Reply with quote

Hi All
we moved into a house last year and it looks like there has been a large cabin in the back for at least 10 years. We want to put a lawn down as we have two small girls. and would love to have them out in this weather. It has taken a lot of work but we have finally gotten rid of it but underneath the cabin was a layer of fabric and lots of small stones. So this soil probably isn't the most fertile so I'm wondering what I should mix in to it to enrich it? I will probably use the pitchfork to loosen up the soil but just not sure what I need to do prepare the soil. I have the FAQ on planting a new lawn printed out and ready to go for whenever I have all the prep done!
I am probably only going to do the bits that are cleared in the photos, the bits to the side are breaking my heart as they are all roots and stones!

Thanks!

IMG_20180711_184848926.jpg
 Description:
back garden
 Filesize:  889.36 KB
 Viewed:  545 Time(s)

IMG_20180711_184848926.jpg

IMG_20180711_184834396.jpg
 Description:
back garden 1
 Filesize:  764.36 KB
 Viewed:  545 Time(s)

IMG_20180711_184834396.jpg

sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry no answer but it will be lovely when you get it done,,,,,dosn't seem to be anyone around,probally on holiday
I ended up asking my question on a couple of irish gardening groups on facebook for now,,,,,
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big project.
Remove all stones with a rake down to whatever depth is necessary. There could be sorts of builders rubble spread all over the place too. Hire a rotavator and turn the whole place over and skip what you don't want. Import sand and topsoil to bring it back up to the level you want. Look into some hard landscaping to reduce the amount you have to do, paths, washing line, patio area, shed or a pond. You have a blank canvas make the most of it when you are doing it. A garden wide lawn is not the answer. Also look into shrub beds and a veg patch/raised beds.

Can you get a small digger in from the back?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: