Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

What to do with conifers?

Most Recent Posts Planning the garden jobs month by month - JUNE
Last post: Sue Deacon
Leaves dropping off of holiies
Last post: Sue Deacon
Anybody know what this plant is
Last post: Bill2015
HOW TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY LAWN
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: What to do with conifers? Reply with quote

Hi 5 weeks ago we finally moved into our new house properly, alot smaller than the bungalow in the country but necessary because of health reasons for my dh and me, the garden is in need of tlc, and I want to start with the conifers, are they too big? can I prune them? can I take height off them?
I have put hydrangeas long the front wall, and noticed the roots from the conifers were everywhere, can't imagine plants getting any nurishment because of them,
I miss my old garden but onwards and upwards and so will make the best of this,
I do hope to put a small greenhouse in the bake garden for salads, herbs and what I may grow, it will be only what I actually use as in the past I grew stuff I never used fully,
I need to feel positive about this so will have them cut down fully if necessary
Help Confused
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wumwy8QsscN3BiJ4A

sorry only way I can show you pics,,,,,hope this works,,,
sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps ,the first 3 pics are from the neighbours side where the trees have overgrown into the property, as the house we bought was never updated and rented out the trees have been left to take over,the neighbour dosnt seem to mind as I believe its also a rented property,
just another thing to sort, we have already had the house gutted and at the moment trying to get it back into shape,,
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they have run away a bit haven't they? Unfortunately you cannot trim them back enough for your needs as they will just show bare brown patches that will never green up again. You can reduce the height but that wont help with the width. New start and all that, be cruel to be kind and lop them off at the butt. They haven't been cared for anyway so what is the difference?

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
sal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou tagwex, I had a feeling that would be the answer,the neighbour on the otherside offered me shears to trim but I thought it just wouldn't do, I did try and find the conifers on the net and all the info on similar ones were not to trim,,,now
actually looking forward to starting on the garden, next I will be looking for something to put around the stumps ,something a bit cheerful and colourful,,,,
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Off with their heads.........and bodies...............and legs. You can leave their feet. Smile Smile
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: