Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

Is my willow tree sick/diseased

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MeathMan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Is my willow tree sick/diseased Reply with quote

Hi, I purchased a 10 year old weeping willow tree about 2 years ago and this is it, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xp5lwsqiahhs1dm/AAA2Nbetbbn59v4D3kzxrmVza?dl=0
Pictures show a lot of leaves dying off and spots on some of them although new leaves are still growing. Firstly, I think it's a different breed of willow, not the weeping willow I asked for but aside from that I'd like to know if it's diseased or if there's anything I should/Can do about it.

Thanks in advance!

Richard
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to say, that's willows for you! I have a number of 'corkscew' willow around the garden - all grown from one original tree. They are a variant of your willow (Salix Babylonica, mine is S. Babylonica tortuosa) Some grow really well, some struggle. Most look like your tree at some time.

Willow is a fast growing tree which probably explains why it is a short-lived tree. I wouldn't give up on yours just yet. But you could check around the base of the trunk for any signs of damage or disease.

James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon has a point.
I often say when it comes to plants it is "easy come, easy go".
But it need not be that way with a little care.

Your tree has been struggling for a few years by the looks of the lichens growth on it.
It looks like it is having difficulty accessing nutrients due to poor soil conditions and/or root damage and/or lower trunk bark damage (often times strimmers or soccer ball damage).

I would do the following......

Aerate around the base of it with a garden fork, out to a with of 2 metre either side of the trunk.
Mulch the base of the tree with well rotted compost/fym topped,. Cut back all dead wood and burn clippings.
Water well during dry spells such as we are having these days.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
MeathMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue/James,
Thanks for the responses. I bought 6 hornbeams, all 10 years old and planted on the same day and they're doing fine. I have a bag of 10:10:20, should I use a few fistfulls of that around the base every few weeks maybe? Is it actually a disease that I need to cut away or is it just a matter of removing dead wood?

Thanks

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: