Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

This is driving me NUTS its so familiar

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Most Recent Posts Fastigiate tree with nuts
Last post: Silver surfer
Korean fir
Last post: Silver surfer
Amazing Agriculture machines.
Last post: Greengage
the last one
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
avs0020
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that I cant post photos but I think we have a solution. Its a herbaceous perennial clematis called Alpina. I have had a few blue flowers, the first ever. Clearly relocation was the solution. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry avs0020.... but what ever plant has the blue flowers that you think is Clematis alpina it is most definitely not the same plant as the leaves you posted earlier.

Clematis leaves are trifoliate...they are in 3's..see link for pics.

Do please post new pics...please.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1920&bih=943&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=KJJoW5roDIickwWVmoh4&q=clematis+alpina+leaves&oq=clematis+alpina+leaves&gs_l=img.12..0i24k1.6926.8695.0.10784.7.4.0.3.3.0.118.393.3j1.4.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.7.411...0.0.M-U8zZ48DXQ#imgrc=ABnpP3Q00_VP5M:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Clematis+alpina&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB785GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBlJ3uhtncAhXPC-wKHZimD8kQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=947
avs0020

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Silver Surfer. A month ago I would have totally agreed with you, and I was going nuts trying to figure out a clematis type flower on something that was not clinging, not trifoliate and a bit on the hairy side. I happened to be watching Mr Titchmarsh circa 2001 and he was talking about a beautiful white clematis and suddenly there were my leaves. I yelled so loud my husband came running in alarm. Turns out there is a herbaceous clematis??? Here's a link

https://www.google.ie/search?q=herbaceous+clematis+leaves&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwhaiyrvncAhXKneAKHVdmDqcQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=759#imgrc=oytZMhW56IsGKM:
avs0020

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably wrong about the variety but am happy that most of the mystery seems to be solved. still very grateful for the feedback from everyone. Its been a fun mystery.
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="avs0020"]Hi Silver Surfer. A month ago I would have totally agreed with you, and I was going nuts trying to figure out a clematis type flower on something that was not clinging, not trifoliate and a bit on the hairy side. I happened to be watching Mr Titchmarsh circa 2001 and he was talking about a beautiful white clematis and suddenly there were my leaves. I yelled so loud my husband came running in alarm. Turns out there is a herbaceous clematis???

Well done avsoo20!!!

I have learnt a new Clematis today thanks to you.

Clematis integrifolia...solitary Clematis fits perfectly.

Quote....Thorncroft Clematis.

"These herbaceous clematis are clump-forming scramblers, they have non-clinging stems and can be allowed to scramble in herbaceous borders. They are good 'front of border' plants, make excellent companions in beds of bush roses, they can also be grown in window boxes, hanging baskets or cascading over a retaining wall. They are exceptionally hardy, trouble free, very free flowering and, as with other herbaceous plants, they die back in winter. All are suitable to use as cut flowers."

There are several named ones with different coloured flower.

https://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk/clematis/integrifolia-94.html

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/3950/i-Clematis-integrifolia-i/Details

I humbly apologies for saying all Clematis were trifoliate.
Should have done more research.

Now I must try to find one...it looks superb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: