Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Planning the garden jobs month by month - MARCH

Most Recent Posts aquascape ponds
Last post: ponddigger
Ponddigger breaks the rules (again)
Last post: vulkan
Planning the garden jobs month by month - NOVEMBER
Last post: Greengage
Time to go?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Planning the garden jobs month by month - MARCH Reply with quote

There you go people, fill it with good advice and jobs to do/done.
Still have to finish off my greenhouse.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely day here in Fermanagh, got two jobs ticked off the list. I cleaned out the bird boxes and hung up another one. Dave sorted out the camera in one bird box and that is working fine now.

We had some more stone delivered yesterday and today I managed to dig a trench across the back lawn and stoned it. There was water in the bottom of the trench! Hope this sorts out the drainage problem. The surface is a little lumpy, but we will soon work that out.

The weather forecast is not good for tomorrow, but I know I'll be in no fit state to work in the garden, so that's alright.

What are you up to T and anyone else out out there?

tagwex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in recovery mode unfortunately. Started to feel ill this day 3 weeks ago. Turned out to be gastroenteritis. To cap that I then got a flu a few days later (5th bout sInce early December, it just wont go away). So I have been really ill for a while now. Went back to work last Monday when really I shouldn't have as I was just not ready but heyho .... I'm feeling much better but still not 100%. So nothing done around the garden for a while now but so much to do.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that T. I went to see my friend, Mary, yesterday. I should have been to see her before Christmas, but she called to tell me, she had ' flu-like symptoms and didn't want to pass it on to me.

She has been suffering with it, off and on, ever since. It is very persistent. She said she is still not right.

Are you taking vit C? It does help fight it, but it has to be the the good stuff and not that supermarket rubbish.

Then on top of that, gastroenteritis, good grief! Hope you are feeling better very soon.

Margo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get better soon Tagwex. I was hoping to get out in the garden this weekend but it been chucking down for the last 24 hours.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some substantially made compost bins made from 40mm timbers that were the stud walls in a house and set on a concrete base. Never had a problem with them. 100mm concrete blocks laid loose at the base to cover the 50mm air vent and to stop vermin getting in. Low and behold, I presume because of the snow and lack of food sources, they have managed to move the block in the centre, how I just don't know, and are now in feasting. So that will be a job for today. I will feed them cement mixed in with barley meal. The terrier will probably catch one or two too.

20160407_102003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  501.44 KB
 Viewed:  2234 Time(s)

20160407_102003.jpg

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the brick out and leave the rest to the dog? If it were my cat Purdy, she would rise to the challenge and not rest until the job was done. Very Happy
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting to give the pond a Spring clean for a few weeks now. Finally got around to it yesterday.

I had planned to move the fish to the little pond, pump some of the clear water into a new rain barrel I have and give the pond a good scrub and 'hoover' - the pond vac is good at cleaning gunge from the bottom of the pond, but stirs everything up. Well that was the plan..... That is until I discovered the FROG SPAWN!!! Yipeeee!

Plan B, I used the vac and let the water runoff go into the rain barrel, let that settle overnight then opened the tap and let the clean water back into the pond. It meant sitting the vac on a box, on a chair, so that gravity would do the job, but it worked OK. Very Happy

The pond has a shallow part that I am going to have to 'fence off' from the fish, but, hey, froggies!!

Today I tidied out the greenhouse and sorted through the overwintering plants, ditched some and freshened the soil in the auricula pots.

All I have to do now is file the rough skin off my finger tips and apply a pot of cream to my poor old hands.

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frogs have arrived too late for the midges.

Margo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has lost a lot of fish as she went out and found the blooming frogs humping her fish. She tried rescuing the fish but they'd suffocated
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I don't think I need to worry on that score - we have very few frogs,two LARGE Koi carp and a good sized Blue Orfe, going by the imaginative names of Silver, Red and Blue. Laughing
Margo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think hers were just goldfish
Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing planted in the garden still too wet. First chickens hatched 2 weeks ago, Cream Leg bars.Bees not out foraging yet. This could develop into a serious problem as they need feeding now, still haven't opened them up as its too cold and wet here.
Went to Fermanagh to see Taxus baccata fastigiata in Florence court. Super garden and parkland, Saw Marble Arch caves, the museum in Enniskellen, American folk park Omagh and the Burren Geo park super trip weather not great though but that's Ireland.
Margo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence Park looks lovely. Marble Arch caves are very similar to Cheddar Gorge in Somerset. American folk park looks smashing. Love those sort of things. If your in UK Beamish and Black Country Museum are on the same level. So interesting how things were in those times back then.
Like you, can't do a thing in the garden its so wet. All the farmers are keeping their stock inside. I feel so sorry for them especially as the lambs are coming thick and fast..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: