Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Growing pumpkins from seed, dead seedlings?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Growing pumpkins from seed, dead seedlings? Reply with quote

I've had a go for the first time at the above but I've had some problems. I planted some seeds in a seed tray and some in small pots. They all grew well and fast until I transplanted the seed tray ones into pots to grow on before planting out. I followed the instructions with regard to keeping them indoors and putting them outside for a few hours each day to acclimatize bur, as I say, the transplanted ones have all died. I haven't planted any out yet and intend putting them in grow bags.
I put some polystyrene packaging in the bottom of the pots first for drainage and used peat free bark compost. When I was emptying the pots out today the polystyrene seemed to have rotted away and there was an awful smell from it. Should I have used polystyrene in this way or has it perhaps poisoned the plants? Any other theories as to why the plants might have died?

Thanks in advance.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Growing pumpkins from seed, dead seedlings? Reply with quote

Yorky wrote:
the transplanted ones have all died. I haven't planted any out yet and intend putting them in grow bags.
I put some polystyrene packaging in the bottom of the pots first for drainage and used peat free bark compost. When I was emptying the pots out today the polystyrene seemed to have rotted away and there was an awful smell from it. Should I have used polystyrene in this way or has it perhaps poisoned the plants? Any other theories as to why the plants might have died?

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of polystyrene to rot away easily. Usually it stays with us for too long, taking many years to degrade.
It sounds to me like your pumpkin seedling fell prey to a fungus or a mould. The seeds are quite big so they would create quite a smell when attacked by a fungus or a mould. Over-watering is a big contributing factor in these ills. Did you over-water, was the soil or compost sodden.
Watering with an anti fungicidal solution such as "Chestnut compound" will be helpful in preventing a fungus attack again on further seedlings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: