Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

A slightly wild round the edges garden

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
JennyS
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: A slightly wild round the edges garden Reply with quote

These are a few photos I came across of my garden so I thought I'd post them up.... The first one was taken eight years ago - last occupants 20 cows - and the others last summer. The garden is definitely a bit wild round the edges, but I reckon if I keep the grass mowed it doesn't show that serious weeding is needed!

Even though this pond is only about 20ft from the house I've seen herons, otters and a pair of wild mallard visiting - shame about the fish, but there are still some trout, rudd and goldfish left, and the pleasure of watching an otter is worth a bit of fish loss.

birdie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So warm and homely. It just shows what can be done with hard work and imagination.
shefra
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow JennyS you did a fab job. I would love to get that effect in my patch. Can you tell me what you planted in the fore & background? Problem downloading the pics I promised you.
JennyS

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shefra
A lot of whats growing round the pond is wild, but I planted blue water irises, pontaderia, hemerocalis, astilbe, lysichiton, arum, camassia and primulas as well.
Big mistake was in letting canadian pondweed (elodea crispa), swamp stonecrop (tillea), parrots feather (myriophyllum) and nymphoides loose - the only way I can stop the pond getting choked is to haul out what I can with a rake on a long extension bar!
As to the wild plants I'll start a new thread in the wildflowers and nature gardening section, and put up some pictures of wildflowers that would enjoy a pond-side habitat.....hopefully it'll be there later this evening......

shefra

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a pond, JennyS, alas, can you tell me what are the trees and shrubs that you planted. You are very familiar the botinical names , have you studied horticulture?
JennyS

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shefra
Most of the trees were here already - holly, ash, oak, silver birch and willow, but I did plant some elder, including the golden elder which can be seen bottom right of the second photo.
As to shrubs, hebe, variegated dogwood, ceanothus, spirea, rosa rugosa, buddleja.....lots of different bits and pieces went in over the years and pretty much muddled in together.
I've gardened for the last 30 years, worked in a tree nursery and garden centre for 16 and sort of absorbed the botanical names as I've gone along. If you're interested in plants but not too familiar with some of the names theres a series of soft-back books - The Garden Expert Series by Dr D G Hessayon that are really useful, lots of different titles like 'The Tree and Shrub Expert' 'The New Flower Expert' etc and they are a good starting point, though he does unfortunately like his chemicals, but good guides for planting and getting more familiar with different plants.
Hope you manage to download your photos sometime 'cos it would be great to see some, here and in the wildflower bit.

Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyS wrote:
The Garden Expert Series by Dr D G Hessayon that are really useful, lots of different titles like 'The Tree and Shrub Expert' 'The New Flower Expert' etc and they are a good starting point, though he does unfortunately like his chemicals

As far as I can recall, he worked for or was backed by a chemical company whilst writing the books. Confused
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful site JennyS. Lots of nice natural shelter to allow you to grow most plants well.
crosstownk
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyS - That's amazing. It looks so good. Well done.
Gardensgalore

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JennyS,
like Sb says, Dr.Hessayon was working for, or sponsored by, a chemical company. I won't mention names on this posting. Some of his statements could be considered 'iffy'.
Better to do Google research and get different opinions, then make your own mind up.
For the information of the rest of you: I have seen Jenny's garden and it is truly inspirational. The pictures, although fine, really don't do it justice.
Richard

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!

It's the first time I have been on the pictures page and this is what greets me!!

I am humbled, it's fantastic

JennyS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments - I hope it gives a bit of encouragement to anyone who's taken on a wildish bit of land......it would be great to see some pics of other peoples gardens
annie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the garden of my dreams JennyS ... and unfortunately for me that is where it will remain.
Your garden is so, so beautiful, my own garden is full of exotic plants (no Aussie natives here) I grow roses, perennials, bulbs etc, all the wrong plants for my climate, we have water restrictions here and can only water 2 days per week between certain hours.... and although I have lost the odd plant here and there, I think, considering the conditions here, my garden does look pretty good .... but ... it does lack that certain 'lushness' that I always see in Irish and in English gardens Crying or Very sad

http://delights-in-my-garden.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: