Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Planting near house

Most Recent Posts How to store seeds??
Last post: tagwex
Creating dwarf wall in existing greenhouse
Last post: Blowin
Buxus seems to be Dying
Last post: summer
white powder on magnolia leaves
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Clondoolusk
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Planting near house Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently building a new house, the grounds man is back clearing the site in next fortnight, we were hoping to do some landscaping under the windows ( small shrubs formed with a box hedge on the borders) to the front of the house, the plan would be to get the hardcore that is currently there removed and replaced with topsoil for planting, do we need to put some form of membrane between soil and plinth of the house to bridge the gap? Any advice on this would be very welcome.

Kind regards.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the soil is lower than your DPC then it shouldn't be a problem. However, when you have the opportunity put in a membrane to act as a weed suppressant. Will save you years of pulling up weeds.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Tagwex on both counts. I will also add don't be mean with the width of the border and don't plant too close to the wall. The soil will tend to be very dry as there will be a 'rain shadow ' from the wall and overhanging roof. It will also be a chance to grow more tender plants as they will gain some warmth and protection from the wall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: