Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Planning the garden jobs month by month - JANUARY

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Most Recent Posts Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
New herbaceous border
Last post: TMAK
Hello to all
Last post: Jim wolohan
Wanted moderator or admin appply to............
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to make it too 'in your face '. The bridges are red and black and this just echoes that.

On the subject of the Japanese garden, I want to brighten a corner of it with a stone basin. I thought I would use one of those bubble fountain thingies for the tank and I have some lengths of bamboo pipe and a spare pump. But having priced the granite basins I am wondering if I can make my own from concrete, using a bowl and large bucket as a mould. I have done quite a bit of modelling with clay and plaster and mould making so that should be no problem. What I need to know is what mix should I use, 1:3, 2:3, and how much stone, if any?

Come on guys, help!

tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think guy is the operative word here. Where is that man when you want him huh? He might even make it for you.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/gardens/ease-your-way-into-the-gardening-year-here-s-how-1.3356273?mode=amp

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good ideas there T, but I think it will be a cold day in hell before I let any local garden 'expert' near my borders. I would rather return it all to lawn than let them loose pruning with a chain saw! Shocked Laughing
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider yourself one of the fortunate ones who can do for themselves, my guess is that the help is required for those that either don't know how to or are not physically able to, or both.

Greengage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Planning the garden jobs month by month - JANUARY Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
In an effort to put a halt to the rampant and rambling 'what did you do today', I want to start up a monthly topic on what do I plan to do this month/what did I do this month. There will be 12 of them obviously but we can come back to it each year with all comments filed away from previous years. It should work with input. Comments in early February should be stand alone and not a continuation from January and so on. It makes more sense when reading back if divided monthly.

So with that said, not a lot going on this month due to the cold temperatures and low light but it is a time to start planning.

But just to get going and plant something perhaps some winter salad leaves, cabbage, spinach and the like.

Clean the greenhouse. Wash trays and pots in readiness. Carry out repairs to infrastructure, (fencing, fruit cages, raised beds, watering systems etc.).

Spread well-rotted manure or compost on your vegetable beds and cover them down with black polythene to start the warming process.

Order your seeds, onions sets and seed potatoes.

???????????????
tagwex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Planning the garden jobs month by month - JANUARY Reply with quote

Greengage wrote:
???????????????

?????????????????????????????

Greengage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In an effort to put a halt to the rampant and rambling 'what did you do today', I want to start up a monthly topic on what do I plan to do this month"
looks like a continuation to me
tagwex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the explanation was quite clear. WDYDT has gone far too big and has a myriad of sub plots in it. According to our lord and master, James, in a previous post, in 'How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?', stated that it was almost at the point that it was going to cause a technical problem. Or words to that effect.

Yes it is a continuation but it will be split into 12 parts and added to annually. So everything relative to January for example will always be in the January thread. Hence the rambling ceases and ideas/advice and jobs to do will always be in the relevant concise place instead of spread across 226 pages.

I really didn't think that I would have to explain this to you GG seeing as you have admonished WDYDT on many occasions. Surely this is progress.

kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Deacon wrote:
. But having priced the granite basins I am wondering if I can make my own from concrete, using a bowl and large bucket as a mould. I have done quite a bit of modelling with clay and plaster and mould making so that should be no problem. What I need to know is what mix should I use, 1:3, 2:3, and how much stone, if any?

Come on guys, help!

Never really done this but maybe 1: 3: 10 ?? I'd say you'd have to experiment first. Would white cement bring out the colour of the stone more? You could grind the outside to give a polished finish or maybe you'd prefer a rougher finish.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been searching you tube for the dearly departed Geoff Hamiltons hypertufa 'concrete' pots without luck but I found these instead. Hope it helps Lady Fermanagh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02w7nfj

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-make-an-alpine-trough/

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/thread/?threadId=745274

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/10536.aspx

http://www.artistic-garden.com/hypertufa/

Nobody does it as well as Geoff!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Tagwex. I'll have a look at those. Yes I remember dear old Geoff and all his money saving tips. I still use many of them.

Ks - I have been looking at dyes, can't decide between buff and black. The black granite bowls I have seen look great. But the site is very shady. Perhaps it needs to stqnd out more.

I was digging out some concrete at the weekend. I noticed how it had weathered, it looked really good, just needed a bit of stone for strength?

tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting milk on it apparently promotes lichen growth.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or yoghurt, or cow poo. Reminds me of a story - I have some friends who restored an old cottage in the Peak District. They faced endless problems because it was in a national park and the jobsworths were more concerned about tourists than the folks who lived there.

So, one day an in 'inspector' called and told them that the gable wall would have to come down and be rebuilt, because there was a bulge in it. Over two foot thick and two hundred years old - it wasn't going anywhere. Long story short, a local guy helped them 'shave' the bulge off the wall and then bought them a bucket of cow poo to 'age' the stone. They left it a few weeks and got on with other jobs then called the guy back. He just said they'd done a good job. Very Happy Marvellous stuff that cow poo!

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I'm still here and have not got washed away. It's raining ball bearings at the moment and my new delivery of stone (to finish the ditch) bears a remarkable likeness to Mount Fuji! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: