Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Pump and barrels for Rainwater distribution

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Janef
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Pump and barrels for Rainwater distribution Reply with quote

My well is running dry! So I am collecting rainwater off my roof for garden use. So far I have 3 bins/barrels (approx. 140 gallons) connected, and I have run a half-inch hose from the last one down to the lower end of my sloping garden, for watering my 36 sq metre polytunnel full of tomatoes and cucumbers etc.
But it's running too slowly: there isn't enough pressure to fill the drip-feed pipes in the tunnel.
I think I need to fit a pump on a timeswitch to boost the pressure. Can anyone tell me what kind of pump to get and where to put it? (In the tank or on a pipe?) And a filter to stop odd bugs, leaves etc blocking the drip hose.

Also, does anyone know where to get cheap plastic barrels in Ireland, and/or nice oak barrels for the front of the house?
Tessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the US we can get them from the big food distribution companies. I've gotten a couple of 55 gallon ones that held soy sauce for about 5.00 (US) each. There's also a racing fuel place near me that periodically will sell them really cheap, sometimes even give them away. Racing fuel is highly evaporative and most of it is long gone by the time you'd use the barrel. Any residue washes out easily with dish washing soap.

I almost forgot....cheesemakers use big barrels for making the curd and will often sell the barrels. It's at least worth checking.
Janef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tessa. I just got some that had been used for caramel flavouring by a food company, and they are perfect.
Gardensgalore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, my water comes from a mountain stream high up, but goes into a large holding tank, only about 2-3 metres above my polytunnels; so I didn't have enough pressure. The solution was to install a shallow well pump in the garden, covered by an old fibreglass cold water tank. This boosts pressure a lot, but needs a mains power supply. It switches on automatically when you turn something on (senses pressure). It came from a company in Kenmare - http://www.rvr.ie/ - who delivered very quickly. With materials to build a base, cable etc it cost about €400 (not includind old tank). Its worth giving them a call.

Hope that helps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: