Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Growing Winter Potatoes .

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Micks Garden
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Growing Winter Potatoes . Reply with quote

I have a little experiment going on, I am planting a few tubers every two weeks from Sept round to Feb just to see how they get on (in pots in a poly tunnel) .
I started tubers off in August, Roosters and Queens, Roosters got blight the queens survived, from these I took stem cuttings and from the cuttings I took more cuttings. The rooted cuttings (2nd batch) were planted singly in 20 ltr pots on the 10th of Oct and today I note the first flower Smile see the pic , the plants are protected from frost with a cloche and are averaging 10 inch's .
I also have a mix planted from tubers, Gemson, Lady Balfour, Electra and Vita Belle, all growing away nicely .
As far as I can see spuds will grow through the winter so long as the frost is kept off, whether they produce tubers of any size and quality time will tell .

brit-queen.jpg
 Description:
British Queens 23/12/2017 in flower
 Filesize:  461.12 KB
 Viewed:  709 Time(s)

brit-queen.jpg

mini-tunnel.jpg
 Description:
The mini tunnel
 Filesize:  448.19 KB
 Viewed:  709 Time(s)

mini-tunnel.jpg

strong-stems.jpg
 Description:
Strong Stems
 Filesize:  419.11 KB
 Viewed:  707 Time(s)

strong-stems.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: