Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Quiet times

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Most Recent Posts Happy Christmas
Last post: Sue Deacon
Pisonous plant in the garden this month
Quiet times
Honeymoon Honesty
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sue Deacon
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll take more than garlic! Very Happy
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím reeking of the stuff right now - just after a steak at the Station House Hotel, with all the trimmings.
Lest you should all think Iíve been totally idle today, I did spend an industrious half-hour with a Brillo pad, cleaning off old plant labels.

I was in Naas the other day, chauffeuring SWMBO. I took the opportunity to pay a visit to Johnstown Garden Centre. Such a treat, to visit a big, excellently run establishment. Thay had a great selection of plants too. I was on the lookout for some white hellebores and ophopha-whatís-its ( the black, grassy stuff) to top off a couple of planters of tulips and I got some really nice specimens.

They had a good selection of sarracenias too, so Iíve added another one to my collection. Iím thinking of a fly-catching window sill bog garden for the spring.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few Venus fly traps back in the day. Great fun. Hate flies in the house.
I have spent yet another day looking for my birth cert with no luck so far.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd T, I spent the day studying the Lancashire Fusiliers' part in the Boer War after I FOUND a Marriage Certificate! It was my Great Grandparents and was in G. Grandpa's Military records. Funny what you do to pass a showery Sunday.

Good luck with the search!

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it seems to be reminiscing time, Iíve just been watching a recorded episode of Vera and remembering a visit to relatives on my dadís side on Tyneside when I was 14. Strange how memory works - various Ďforgottení things resurfaced - nice memories to have.
And on the topic of English relations, quite by chance the other night I came across someone who has researched way back into one side of my motherís family - to the 1620s! It really is amazing, what you can find on the internet!
tagwex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brenda never convinced me as a copper in the 2 or 3 episodes that I did watch so I give Vera a wide berth nowadays.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I have a photo of an entry in the Marriage Register for Killaloe on the marriage of my great great grandfather to a woman who, as far as we know, was from Ballymoney, Co Antrim! He was English, trading in corn etc, which explains his presence, but what she was doing there, especially before rail travel, Iíve no idea.
Did you find your birth certificate, T?

As for gardening, the garlic is now sown: 32 cloves of 3 hardneck varieties. I have a bulb of soft neck to plant in the spring. I took Klaus Laitenbergís advice and only planted the biggest cloves. The rest I used for a roast garlic and mushroom soup which was very good - see link below.
Other horticultural activities were sowing a tray of seed of Szechuan Pepper. Itís a spice Iím very fond of and the flowers make a spectacularly tingly addition to a dessert, as I discovered in an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam last spring. I only recently discovered (Gardeners World) that it will grow here. Iíve no great hopes of germination - Iíve no idea how old the spice in my cupboard is.
And today I thought Iíd take advantage of the weather to clear leaves/give the lawn a last cut. I used the mower to chop up a couple of piles of leaves for leaf mound and then went on to the lawn. Job four fifths done when the linkage that supports the front wheels broke. So that was that! I was too tired to be bothered repairing it - rainy day job.
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid not. There are not too many places left to look now so I have come to the conclusion that it was inadvertently thrown out. I have used the exercise as a serious 'throw out all this ould shite' that has been lying around for years and I never look at. Several boxes here now ready to be used as stove lighters.
I bit the bullet and ordered a new one from the UK last Friday. Most likely will find it now very shortly and then I will have 3 of them. Garda HQ will only wait so long or else my application will be thrown out, they have their deadlines too.

Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's always the way T. I often put things in a 'safe' place only for them to disappear into some kind of Belleek Triangle. Confused

But you are right, I'd give it about 24 hours after you get your new certificate to find the old one - probably in the first place you looked for it. Laughing

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I bought a really neat plastic hook yoke with a suction pad for sticking to the window. Hung a fat ball from it and had birds to watch while washing up.
I put it somewhere ďsafeĒ in summer 2015 and only found it again this week while looking for something else!
Typical!!!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't believe the number of long lost things that I have found in the last month whilst looking for that cert.

Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itís a bit ďLife of BrianĒ then:Ēalways look on the bright side....Ē
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tagwex wrote:
You wouldn't believe the number of long lost things that I have found in the last month whilst looking for that cert.
Ooh I would, it happens to me all the time. I keep meaning to have a good rid out of 'stuff', but I really have to be in the right mood. If I'm not then it's either 'I'll sort this out later' or 'right, it's ALL going! That probably explains why I can't find the book of 'destructions' for my laptop - the same book that I moved from it's usual place for Dave to look something up and never put it back. The damn thing has just updated itself and now I can't find anything on that either! I DO wish they'd stop improving things - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Rant over.
Good guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back Windows97 I say!
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well have an abacus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: