Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

Sloped Bank Creepers

Most Recent Posts Hello
Last post: Sue Deacon
What is this plant please
Last post: Sue Deacon
Amelanchier
Last post: Good guy
Prime Seaweed (Availability) Conditions?
Last post: Gautama

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
SeanOChuinn
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Sloped Bank Creepers Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

We have just cleaned up an embankment in front of our home and are now currently left with a sloped bank about 65 degrees and 5ft to 6ft in height which is too steep to mow or manage any grass on. The bank was graded down to subsoil and we were seeing some briars starting to appear. Since that we have covered the bank with about 3-4 inches of good quality top soil. We were hoping to try to sow some moss creepers or maybe header. Something that would only grow a few inches and manage to spread or cover the ground. We would then be able to work through the embankment at various times during the year to pull any scutch grass or weeds as they would appear and this would also eliminate the need for mowing and grass removal if grass wasn't planted to cover the embankment.
The embankment is south facing and gets lots of light, there may be times during the day it is in shade but 80% of the day it would have direct sunlight. Was hoping maybe we could get some suggestions of mosses or creepers we could plant across the embankment that would slowly over time cover it. Obviously nothing is maintenance free but low maintenance would be nice.

Thanks all.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plant it full of Rock rose. Will cover bank in 3 years and virtually weed free when it's in full cover. Likes superb drainage, poor soil and sunlight.
A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
SeanOChuinn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That's Hoary Rock Rose is it? I've looked and it appears to be a protected plant. According to what I'm reading only occurring in limestone rocks? We have a lime stone quarry about 2 miles away so the ground would be super limey alright and probably suit it, but not sure if this would work. Is it possible to buy in garden centres with its protected label?
tagwex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea thrift. Lavender. Camomile. Thyme. Berberis. Alpines.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Blowin
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plant knowledge isn't great but, with a 65 degree slope and only a few inches of top soil on top, whatever you do plant will need to root right through into the subsoil below and have a good, wide root stock. If there isn't enough growth to bind the whole lot together, one good lot of torrential rain could wash the lot down to the bottom of the slope?
Sue Deacon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geranium macrorrhizum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: